This position reports to: Director of Planned Giving
Fundamental Objectives of this Position:
The Advancement Officer at the University of Mount Union will have responsibility for the solicitation of individual gifts. This person will manage an on-going portfolio of alumni, donors and friends and will plan strategies for the cultivation and solicitation of gifts in conjunction with the Director of Planned Giving. This person will also work appropriately with the associated directors of the Mount Union Fund and planned giving to execute strategic fundraising opportunities.
This position travels extensively throughout Ohio and the United States and will be expected to conduct a prescribed number of personal visits to prospective donors and current donors each month. He or she places priority on establishing new relationships, building on current relationships, and solidifying mature relationships between the University and its alumni and friends. The Advancement Officer is energetic, creative, forward-thinking, comfortable with asking for financial support, and possesses the ability to translate academic goals and plans into specific fund raising initiatives.
Working in a highly confidential environment, the Advancement Officer maintains high standards of personal integrity, honesty and character. He or she demonstrates excellent judgment and understands that effectively representing the University is a constant priority
- Identifying prospective sources of revenue
- Cultivating relationships with prospective donors and conduct at least 150 face-to-face annual alumni and donor visits with the goal of cultivating gifts to the institution
- Work with other advancement professionals to identity new prospects and develop a strategic plan to engage this new audience
- The position requires significant travel to make goals, and evenings and weekends are needed to fulfill visit and event responsibilities.
- Attend professional development webinars and conferences related to best practices in major gift fundraising and university advancement.
- Participates in University compliance training as communicated by the University or the Vice President of Advancement.
The Advancement Officer must have excellent oral, interpersonal and written communication skills; experience in working with volunteers; demonstrated experience in the successful completion of multiple projects and responsibilities; and interest and willingness to be part of the advancement team.
Candidates should possess three to five years experience in higher education advancement or possess transferable skills from a related field. Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills are required, as is the ability to work as an effective team member and a tolerance for ambiguity. The Advancement Officer needs to be a self-starter requiring limited supervision. Preference will be given to candidates with knowledge of major gift principles, planned giving vehicles, financial or estate planning, or legal experience.
Applications for the position will be reviewed until it is filled. Please submit a letter of application, resume, and the names and contact information of three references. Click on the “Apply Now” button below to apply for this position.