- Alina Selby ’14
- Hometown: Finleyville, PA
- Major: Mechanical engineering
I’ve always been interested in how things work and how I can make things more efficient.
The Village on Hartshorn Street which includes Adams Court, Groves Court and Orwick-Nicholson Court and the Brown Village on Union Avenue will offer seniors and juniors the opportunity to enjoy all the conveniences of living close to campus: having access to the campus cable, computer and telephone networks, easy parking and private rooms. What could be better?
Two Options Available
The Brown Village will provide students with apartments referred to as flats which offer a living room, kitchen, 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms all on one floor. Students living on Union Avenue will be in an apartment community which consists of three large manor houses which are three stories high (equipped with an elevator) and have three apartments on each floor. These manors will have common entrances for all residents in the facility and flat (apartment) entrances will be off a common corridor. A laundry room will be centrally located in each manor. Parking will be conveniently located directly behind the manor houses.
The Hartshorn Street Village, centrally located on campus next to the Timken Physical Education Building and across from the Gulling Training Center, offers easy access to the fitness facilities of which so many of our students like to take advantage. This village community will consist of three rows of houses; each with its own exterior entrance. The townhouse style of these structures will give students the real feeling of independence as they walk through their very own front door into a an open floor plan consisting of a living room, kitchen, bathroom and one bedroom downstairs and a bathroom and 3 bedrooms upstairs. As an added bonus, students in these apartments will not even have to leave their cozy little home to do their laundry. A stackable washer/dryer unit will be supplied in each townhouse. Parking for the houses in this village will be both adjacent to the row as well as across the street in Gulling Parking Lot.
What else is there to know?
- In both the Hartshorn Street Village and Brown Village apartments, the bedrooms will be furnished with a bed, dresser, desk and desk chair. Living rooms will be left to you to decorate and furnish. Four stools/chairs will be provided for the kitchen islands.
- Campus cable and computer networks will be available in the living room and each individual bedroom of the unit. Each apartment will have one campus telephone number for the whole unit and voicemail will also be provided.
- Heating and air conditioning can be controlled within your individual apartment.
- Kitchens have a refrigerator, stove, microwave and dishwasher.
- All apartments are carpeted and have window blinds provided.
- All Mount Union policies, with a few notable exceptions (including no visitation policy), apply in the apartments. Because the apartments are only for juniors and seniors, there is an expectation that the upperclass students residing there will be more independent. An apartment manager will be available to assist you.
- If a student in the apartments should move for any reason, the remaining roommates will be given the opportunity to replace that roommate or buy-out that space (there is no guarantee that housing demands will allow for a buy-out and the Office of Residence Life may assign a new roommate if the space is needed). The Office of Residence Life also maintains the right to assign a new student to fill the vacancy if a new resident is not found by the current residents of the apartment.