Assistant Professor of Education
Responsibilities: The Department of Education at the University of Mount Union, a CAEP-accredited institution, invites applicants for a tenure-track position in Education to begin August 1, 2018. Responsibilities include teaching introductory and upper level courses, advising students, working with P-12 partner districts, and contributing to program assessment and accreditation. Professional development, scholarly activity and service to the university are expected. The department welcomes candidates whose experience in teaching, administration, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.
- Ph.D. or Ed.D. (ABD will be considered) from a regionally accredited institution in an education discipline
- Earned teaching certificate/license in an area of education
- Minimum of three years of full-time teaching experience with P-12 students
- Experience in special education, early childhood education, and/or middle childhood education, with a priority given to candidates with expertise in special education
- Evidence of teaching and leadership effectiveness
- Commitment to collaboration and a strong commitment to excellence in educator preparation
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusivity
- College or University teaching experience
- Experience developing reciprocal partnerships with P-12 districts
- Knowledge of Specialized Professional Association report writing, state program review processes, and the ability to lead special education, middle childhood, and/or early childhood programs, depending on the successful candidate’s background
- Knowledge of and experience with CAEP Standards and the accreditation process
Available: August 1, 2018
Compensation: Competitive, based on qualifications. Fringe benefits include a 10% contributionby the University to TIAA after one year of service; contribution by the University toward hospitalization, major medical, disability, and group life insurance; tuition exchange for qualified dependents.
Equal Opportunity: Mount Union has a strong commitment to nurturing a culturally diverse faculty and student body. We value diversity and demonstrate this in campus initiatives. The University of Mount Union is an equal opportunity employer. The University of Mount Union prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, religion, age, color, creed, national or ethnic origin, veteran status, marital or parental status, pregnancy, disability, or genetic information in employment as now or may hereafter be required by University policy and federal or state law.
Academic Rank: Tenure-track position. Assistant Professor level, pending qualifications.
Descriptive Information: The University of Mount Union, a private Midwestern institutionfounded in 1846, offers a rigorous and relevant academic program that is grounded in the liberal arts tradition. Mount Union’s nearly 2,300 students can select from 55 broad-based and career-specific undergraduate majors as well as master’s programs in physician assistant studies and educational leadership and a doctoral program in physical therapy. Known for its academic excellence and personal approach, the institution boasts a 13:1 student-faculty ratio and a curriculum delivered by dedicated faculty members, 87% of whom hold terminal degrees in their fields.
Since 2005, nearly $110 million has been invested in the construction and renovation of modern facilities including a recreation center, apartment-style housing options, health and medical sciences facility, and performing arts center. Primarily residential in nature, Mount Union’s picturesque 123-acre campus is located in Alliance, OH (population 23,000), within 80 miles of both Cleveland and Pittsburgh. The 162-acre Huston-Brumbaugh Nature Center is located six miles away. The University’s endowment is in excess of $138 million.
The University, affiliated with the United Methodist Church, strives to make its exceptional educational experience accessible to students of all financial backgrounds. Its increasingly-diverse campus community benefits from a student-centered approach and array of activities for cultural, civic, and social development. Students experience outstanding opportunities for success after graduation, both in the workforce and in graduate study.
Send letter of interest, curriculum vitae, teaching philosophy, and names and contact information of three professional references to Education Search Committee, c/o Human Resources, 1972 Clark Ave, University of Mount Union, Alliance, OH 44601; email: firstname.lastname@example.org Electronic applications are preferred.
Please contact the search committee chair, Dr. Melissa Askren Edgehouse at email@example.com with any questions. Review of applications will begin January 15, 2018 and continue until the position is filled.