- Brett Fortune ‘17
- Hometown: Wooster, Ohio
- Major: Nursing
I chose to major in nursing because it is a hands-on major that requires lifelong learning. Plus, the opportunity to make a huge impact in someone's life is exciting and meaningful.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing Clinical Information
Students pursuing Mount Union’s Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) Program will complete roughly 20% more clinical hours than most nursing programs in Northeast Ohio. In fact, students will complete approximately 1,200 clinical hours through rotations in a variety of clinical specialty settings and clinical areas in their sophomore year. Students will experience the role of nursing in various nursing areas.
BSN Nursing Areas
- Critical care
- Long-term care
- Nursing homes
- Psychiatric mental health
- Labor and delivery
- Community health settings
During a nursing student’s senior year, they will complete a preceptorship, which will allow him/her to work with a professional nurse. The professional nurse will serve as the nursing student’s mentor, guiding and transitioning the student into the nursing profession.
Nursing students will have the opportunity to rotate to various clinical agencies in the area in order to gain experience in the nursing field. Contrary to popular belief, clinicals take place at more locations than just hospitals. In fact, nursing students at Mount Union may also have the opportunity to gain experience at city health departments, local schools, nursing homes, rehab units and outpatient clinics.
Mount Union has established clinical affiliation agreements with several of the surrounding agencies including, but not limited to:
Mount Union’s Nursing Clinical Affiliations
- Akron Children’s Hospital, Akron, Ohio
- Akron General Medical Center, Akron, Ohio
- Alliance City Health Department, Alliance, Ohio
- Alliance City Schools, Alliance, Ohio
- Alliance Community Hospital, Alliance, Ohio
- Alliance Pregnancy Center, Alliance, Ohio
- Alliance Visiting Nurse Association, Alliance, Ohio
- Altercare of Louisville Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing Care, Inc., Louisville, Ohio
- Aultman Hospital, Canton, Ohio
- Canterbury Villa of Alliance, Alliance, Ohio
- Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio
- Coleman Behavioral Health, Canton, Ohio
- Community Care Center at Alliance Community Hospital, Alliance, Ohio
- Crandall Medical Center, Sebring, Ohio
- DaVita Dialysis Centers, Alliance, Ohio
- Hillside Rehabilitation Hospital, Warren, Ohio
- Marlington Local Schools, Alliance, Ohio
- Mercy Medical Center, Canton, Ohio
- Northcoast Behavioral Healthcare, Northfield, Ohio
- Salem Community Hospital, Salem, Ohio
- St. Joseph Care Center, Louisville, Ohio
- Summa Health System, Akron, Ohio
- Union Hospital, Dover, Ohio
- Villa Maria Assisted Living and Dementia Care, Alliance, Ohio
The University is always looking to make additional partnerships that may enhance students’ opportunities. Check back to this page often to see where clinical sites have been added.
After completing approximately 1,200 clinical hours in 6-8 different clinical settings, nursing students are more likely to know in which setting they want to start their career when they graduate. Learn more about what careers are available for registered nurses.
Schedule a campus visit today and learn more in person!