- Brett Fortune ‘17
- Hometown: Wooster, Ohio
- Major: Nursing
I chose to major in nursing because it is a hands-on major that requires lifelong learning. Plus, the opportunity to make a huge impact in someone's life is exciting and meaningful.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing Learning Objectives
Mission and Philosophy of the Department of Nursing
The Department of Nursing educates individuals who serve as leaders in the healthcare profession and promotes health and wellness within our diverse community. The Department of Nursing supports the University of Mount Union’s mission to prepare students for fulfilling lives, meaningful work and responsible citizenship.
Baccalaureate of Science in Nursing (BSN) - Program Learning Outcomes:
The University of Mount Union’s undergraduate nursing major is a comprehensive program that will culminate in a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree and allow you to take the National Council Licensing Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). Graduates are prepared to practice as registered nurses in a variety of healthcare agencies.
The graduate of the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program will:
- Integrate knowledge from nursing, arts, humanities and other sciences and disciplines to make judgments relative to the practice of nursing that is based on research findings and evidence.
- Apply concepts and skills of leadership, management, quality improvement and patient safety in the delivery of high-quality therapeutic nursing interventions for individuals, families, groups, communities and populations.
- Communicate and collaborate effectively through verbal, written and electronic medium with individuals, families, groups, organizations, communities and with members of the healthcare team, and in documentation of data in the delivery of quality patient-centered care.
- Demonstrate global awareness of political, regulatory, financial, social, cultural and environmental issues and policies that influence healthcare health policies and the advancement of the nursing profession.
- Use critical thinking to provide holistic nursing care across the lifespan in a variety of complex healthcare settings utilizing the nursing process to promote health, prevent diseases and maintain well-being for individuals, families, groups, communities and populations.
- Accept responsibility and accountability for professional nursing practice including the inherent values of ethics, altruism, autonomy, human dignity, integrity and social justice.