Carmen Phillips '18
Major: Middle Childhood Education
Hometown: Lisbon, Ohio
Future middle school teacher and coach
Member of Cross Country, Track & Field, Tri-Athlete Club
MY EXCEPTIONAL STORY
I learned about Mount Union while attending Buckeye Girls State. Mount Union is my ideal school—small class sizes, great academics and a beautiful campus.
Liberal Arts Preparation
The liberal arts education sets Mount Union apart from other colleges and universities. Mount Union has prepared me in many ways! Mount has criteria that each student must meet upon graduating so you can be assured that you are ready for your future. A perfect example is the WOC portfolio that makes sure we have proper writing and communication skills. The benefits are never ending. A liberal arts education really broadens one’s views on life. It helps one to look at different perspectives.
My favorite class was definitely my FYS, “16 Weeks around the World’s Classrooms.” My fellow classmates became some of my closest friends during the class. We shared a lot of laughs and learned the ropes of college together. The content was also very interesting.
My favorite professor is Professor Stacey Cederbloom. Math has always been my hardest subject, and she helped me make it through my first college math course without a calculator. She went above and beyond to help me prepare for her exams, including office hours twice a week. She once talked to me for two hours about which math class would best suit me in my future. She is amazing!
Choosing a Major
I think this quote will sum up why I chose Middle Childhood Education as my major: “Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself.” – John Dewey
I love being in the classroom and helping my cooperating teachers. There is never a dull moment with the middle childhood age group.
Ultimate Career Goals
My ideal future includes teaching middle school, coaching cross country and track and eventually obtaining a Master’s degree in Administration
The liberal arts education sets Mount Union apart from other colleges and universities…The benefits are never ending.
- If you could have lunch with anyone, who would you choose and why?
- Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. He is such a positive historical figure and I would love to have a conversation with him.
- What is your favorite quote or motto?
- “Live less out of habit and more out of intent.” ~Unknown
- What three songs define your music tastes?
- “Heartbeat” ~Mat Kearney, “Every day America” ~Sugarland, “Nothin’ like you” ~Dan + Shay
- You’re meeting a friend for coffee. What do you order?
- A Java Chip Frappuccino. This is an easy question because I actually work at Starbucks.
- What’s your all-time favorite movie or TV show?
- My favorite TV Show is One Tree Hill, of course.