- Ben Horvath ’13
- Hometown: North Canton, Ohio
- Major: Criminal justice
When I toured the Trumbull County Prison, I got to visit the psych ward and the women’s ward as well as see some of the inmates play basketball.
As a full partner in the educational mission of Mount Union, the Library's holdings are designed to complement the University curriculum and to aid faculty and students in their research and learning. Our first priority is to have materials available for Mount Union faculty, students and staff. Students, faculty and staff of OPAL, OhioLINK and SearchOhio institutions may also borrow materials. The public is welcome into the library to use our resources on the premises. Specific rules governing the circulation of materials at the Mount Union Library are as follows:
1. All individuals must have a valid Mount Union ID which is to be used when borrowing library materials. This includes faculty, administration, staff, and students.
2. Library materials circulate for 30 days unless otherwise indicated. Materials requested via OPAL and OhioLINK have varying policies.
3. Individuals may borrow Mount Union materials for an additional 30 days by renewing them, providing no one has placed a hold on the item/items.
4. Library materials may be renewed by the borrower in person or via the library catalog system on or before the due date.
5. Periodicals, newspapers and reference materials do not circulate outside the library without special permission from a librarian.
6. All library materials are due the last day of classes each semester. This means it is possible to borrow library materials, but not have the full 30 days' use of those materials.
7. Library materials which are not returned by the date they are due are termed "overdue". Individuals who have overdue library materials are fined at a rate of 25 cents per day until Day 29 Overdue, excluding days the library is closed. Overdue videotapes and DVDs are charged at the rate of 50 cents per day. Items that are 30 days overdue incur a non-refundable $25 fine.
8. Individuals who have not returned overdue materials within 2 weeks of the due date will receive an overdue notice.
9. At the end of each month a charge slip will be sent to the Business Office as a bill for unreturned items. Charges for unreturned materials include a $50 replacement and processing charge per item, and a $25 billing fee per item for a total of $75. The fee for OPAL and OhioLINK materials which are not returned is $125 per item.
10. Students who return overdue library materials before notification is sent to the Business Office will be charged only the overdue fine of 25 cents per item per day. OPAL and OhioLINK materials are charged at 50 cents per item per day.
11. Students who return library materials after the Business Office has charged their accounts will be credited the $50 charge. However, an overdue fine of $25 will still be levied for each item.
12. Individuals who have lost library materials will be charged a $50 replacement and a $25 processing fee per item. The $50 fee will be credited to the account if the lost material is returned.
13. If a lost item is valued at more than $50, the individual will be charged the actual value of the item plus the $25 processing billing fees.
14. Materials are placed on reserve by faculty for the support of particular courses. Loan periods as determined by the faculty member are shorter than the standard student loan periods, and some items may be restricted to use in the building.
15. The fine for overdue reserve materials is assessed according to loan period: 4 hour reserve items are charged $5 for every 4 hours overdue, 1 day reserve items are charged $5 for every day overdue, etc.
16. If a patron desires an item which is in use by another individual, then he/she may place a hold on the item. The item, when returned, will be held for a period of one week. If the item is not picked up, it will be shelved. Names of individuals currently using materials will not be divulged.
17. Items checked out to faculty and staff are on loan for the academic year, or the entire summer term. However, these items are subject to recall after a 30 day period for use by a student requesting the item.
18. Friends of the university may be granted borrowing privileges if they follow these guidelines:
A. Obtain permission from the Library Director and apply for a courtesy card.
B. Adhere to the following rules:
1. Use the courtesy card and show photo identification upon request.
2. Follow the circulation policy as discussed in items 1 through 17 above.