Credit Hour Policy
University of Mount Union Credit Hour Definition
The University of Mount Union defines a credit hour as an expectation of student learning outcomes that can typically be achieved in 42-45 hours * of student work. This definition presumes the following:
- Student learning outcome achievement will be demonstrated by documented quantitative and qualitative evidence.
- Expectations are based on many types of learning experiences (classroom, laboratory, clinical, practica, internship, studio work, individual study, group work, other academic work, etc.) and modes of delivery (face-to-face, on-line, etc.).
- Expectations are based on degree level, course-level, and discipline.
- This definition is a minimum standard and courses may exceed this standard with more challenging outcomes that typically require a greater number of hours.
* For a 15 week semester this would represent one hour of direct faculty instruction and a minimum of 2 hours of independent work per week.