Teaching Area(s): Theatre
Title: Professor of Theatre
Courses Taught: Theatre
I started in theatre in high school because those were the kids that I enjoyed being with. I had no idea you could make a career from theatre, especially the backstage part of it. I continued in theatre as an undergraduate because I enjoyed creating it, learned a lot about it and continued to take classes in it.
Probably one of my happiest accomplishments happens with great regularity: it happens when I am able to help a student come to understand, appreciate and enjoy theatre!
Keeping the Content Alive
Whether teaching theatre or any other subject matter, I try very hard to keep it “alive.” Getting the learners involved is the best and most enjoyable way to learn.
A large portion of my job at Mount Union is to design and then produce the costumes for all of the theatre productions.
Connection with Students
The best part of my job is working with students! It is great to help someone come to an idea or thought that they hadn’t thought of before or experience something they hadn’t before. It’s all about learning new things! Also, I think that often and frequently, I learn as much from the students as I hope they learn from me.
Buildings on Campus
I like all of the buildings on campus for different reasons: Chapman for the learning potential, Cope Music Hall and Rodman Playhouse building for the creative potential, Dewald Chapel for its calmness and spirituality, the Hoover-Price Campus Center for its energy and life and the Mount Union Stadium for its excitement! They all work together to make our campus a complete place.
When I came to Mount Union for my job interview, everyone that I met was exceedingly nice and friendly. At the time I thought it was for show because I was new. Much to my surprise, the friendliness and niceness continued, and it hasn’t faded now that I have been here more than 10 years. As I came to be, I realized that it is just the way here—people are nice, friendly and caring.
No matter what the major, students not only learn about that field in class, but also have multiple opportunities to gain valuable knowledge through practical experiences such as internships, clinical practice and study abroad.
B.A., Theatre, Grinnell College
M.F.A., Costume Design, University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana
It is great to help someone come to an idea or thought that they hadn’t thought of before or experience something they hadn’t before. It’s all about learning new things!
- If You Could Teach Another Class
- Actually, I’d rather take classes than teach in another discipline. There is just so much more that I would like to learn, know and understand.
- Words from a Student
- I learn from students all the time! Whether it is new technology, new trends in music, fashion, celebrities or just new ideas in general, I am constantly learning from students!
- Favorite Quote or Motto
- My favorite motto is “The best is yet to come!”
- Surprising Fact about Yourself
- Probably the most surprising thing is that as a child and adolescent, I was horribly and painfully shy; I didn’t talk at all. Now, that has all changed. Some people today might argue that I have overcompensated for my earlier behavior and now have gone too far in the other direction!
- If You Weren’t a Professor
- There are so many things I would like to be, it is hard to choose just one.
- Places to Visit or Things to Do
- I would really like to be able to travel through time and see the great civilizations of Greece and Rome. I’d like to visit Renaissance Italy and colonial America.
- Favorite Movie
- Gone with the Wind for a number of reasons
- Favorite Book
- Because I read everything—fiction, non-fiction, biographies, histories, etc.—and because I read all of the time, my favorite book is usually whichever one that I am reading now!