Dr. Beth Canfield-Simbro
Teaching Area(s): Health and Public Health
I wasn’t sure what to do after I finished an undergraduate degree in biology, so I enrolled in a graduate program in public health without really knowing what public health was! I learned about health education, which is a specialty area in public health, during my first semester in graduate school and have loved it ever since.
I like to use case studies and activities to bring the content to life because public health should be fun! We will watch movies, interview public health professionals, listen to guest speakers and develop careers skills by designing programs, writing for newspapers and having a public health blog. I am easily bored by doing the same thing over and over again, so I’m always trying new ideas in my classrooms.
Passion for Public Health
Sharing my passion for public health with my students is incredibly rewarding.
I love the McPherson Academic and Athletic Complex (The MAAC), because I can work out before or after class. I’d like to hold walking office hours on the track in the fall!
Relationship with Students
I went to large state schools and was amazed by the relationships I’ve built at Mount Union with my students, colleagues and alumni. The quality of those relationships is what makes the University unique for me. The people here are fantastic.
Preparing for the Future
Mount Union students have access to many resources: plenty of individual faculty attention, internships, successful alumni and professionals, research opportunities and study abroad experiences.
Adolescent health and community assessment
B.S., Biology, Wright State University
M.P.H., Public Health, The Ohio State University
Ph.D., Public Health, The Ohio State University
I like to use case studies and activities to bring the content to life because public health should be fun! We will watch movies, interview public health professionals, listen to guest speakers and develop careers skills.
- If You Could Teach Another Class
- Public health is very interdisciplinary, so I’m not sure what wouldn’t be related to public health…. I think it would be awesome to become a certified yoga or Zumba instructor.
- Favorite Quote or Motto
- “Healthcare is vital to all of us some of the time, but public health is vital to all of us all of the time.” –C. Everett Koop
- Surprising News
- I love to bake and make some fairly unhealthy things—today I made cocoa cereal treats for my six year old!
- If You Weren’t a Professor
- I think I would be working in sexual health education for a non-profit organization.
- Places to Visit or Things to Do
- I really want to take our young daughters to Disney World. Our eldest has been there once, and it was magical; I want our baby to have the same magic when she’s a bit older.
- Favorite Movie
- The first Harry Potter movie—I can watch it over and over again!
- Favorite Book
- I couldn’t possibly pick a favorite one! I love to read in any spare time I have.