- Jesse Phillips ‘14
- Hometown: Norwalk, Ohio
- Major: English: Writing
I love the options at Mount Union. Even if you have little to no vision of your future plans, and you keep an open heart and open mind, you can find something that interests you.
English Learning Objectives
Upon graduation, students who major in English will be able to:
- Persuasively interpret subtext and significance by connecting literary texts with relevant contexts (cultural, historical, generic, critical)
- Demonstrate the ability to gain insight through close reading as well as the application of literary theory.
- Demonstrate insight into the ways that power relations shape and are shaped by literature, particularly in the case of social justice issues concerning race, gender, class, religion, and nationality.
- Be able to trace key movements and issues in British, American, and Anglophone literary and linguistic history (including the history of literary theory) from foundational texts to current texts.
- Clearly communicate how his/her research and arguments relate to existing arguments and contribute something of significance.
- Produce focused, graceful, insightful, well-supported and documented literary criticism in written and oral form.