Entry Level Administrative Systems Analyst
Position Reports to: Assistant Director of IT for Administrative Systems
Fundamental Objectives of this position:
Under the supervision of the Assistant Director of IT for Administrative Systems, the Administrative Systems Analyst is responsible for support of administrative systems supporting administrative and academic offices. Maintain software applications and provide application-specific user support. This position facilitates communication between student information system users and IT. Interact professionally with all internal and external customers using strong interpersonal skills.
Essential responsibilities of the position:
- Support application systems by performing system analysis techniques and procedures, including consulting with users, to determine system functional specifications.
- Responsible for the basic design, development and ongoing modification of software applications and implementation of work products in a moderately complex production environment.
- Responsibilities include working with clients, business analysts and team members to understand complex business fairly complex business requirements that drive the analysis and design of quality technical solutions. These solutions must be aligned with business and IT strategies and comply with the organization’s data and security standards.
- Involved in the systems life cycle and responsible for installation, testing, implementing, maintaining and supporting applications software.
- Support of administrative information system working with administrative departments including admissions, registration, financial aid, business office, academic affairs, HR and student affairs.
- Assist other members of Information Technology in support of additional campus information systems including accounts payable/receivable systems, card system, advancement, ticketing, events scheduling systems, Course management system, etc.
- Assist with planning, installation, and support of system upgrades. Monitor new functionality available within the system upgrades and assist with coordination of implementation of new functionality. Lead administrative information system users in use of new features. Work with vendors to ensure smooth transition relative to system upgrades.
- Provide assistance to end users by writing queries, reports and assisting with managing printing reports letters, mailings, etc. Make use of SQL reporting services for report writing when necessary.
- Maintains current knowledge of SQL database, MS Access, administrative system software. Maintain documentation in support of client installs, process, procedures, etc. in support of the administrative systems. Understand and assist Network services with SQL backup procedures.
- Organizing own work, setting priorities and meeting critical time deadlines; and communicating effectively with co-workers, superiors, campus community as well as campus community guests.
- Be proficient with internal problem tracking system; monitor all work requests for timely resolutions; assist with completion of work requests where applicable.
- Perform analysis and judgement outside established protocols.
- Provide user support for multiple applications.
- Develop application requirements based on business requirements from clients and technical requirements.
- Take responsibility for the relationship with a client for a specific application.
- Provide timely status updates to supervisor and client management highlighting potential issues/problems.
- Work effectively with multiple client contacts; initiates interaction to clarify and improve relationship with client.
- Work effectively with co-workers.
- Translate broad project scope and goals into detailed work plan with tasks, accountabilities, dependencies, milestones and deadlines; monitors project plans to ensure progress.
- Balance multiple priorities and respond to day-to-day problems while maintain progress on regularly scheduled project work.
- Take personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of results for projects and tasks.
- Consistently proposes original solutions, proposals and recommendations within context of a project or objective.
- Effectively assesses feasibility of solutions in terms of client need and available resources.
- Provide limited hardware and office/productivity software support to administrative offices.
- Work with the administrative information system user group to coordinate necessary system, procedure, standards and policy changes and participate on a regular basis in the campus user group meetings..
- Participate in training administrative staff and faculty in the use of administrative systems. Assist system users with developing and maintaining system manuals.
- Support evening and weekend events such as downtimes, preview sessions, system upgrades, etc.
- Will carry out other duties as required in consultation with the Assistant Director and the Director of Information Technology.
- Keep abreast of new technology in the Administrative System field.
- Participates in University compliance training as communicated by the University, supervisor or Director of the Department.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
- Excellent organizational, analytical and communication skills, including demonstrated ability to assess, evaluate and implement organizational initiatives. The ability to communicate effectively with a demanding and diverse clientele.
- Excellent administrative and interpersonal skills, especially demonstrated in working with faculty, and staff.
- Working knowledge of several appropriate development language(s), operating system(s) and reporting tools(s). Relational database design, remote processing and virtual systems concepts.
- Programming concepts; server capabilities principles and techniques of studying business processes related to new or modified applications; principles of systems design; technical report writing application of algorithms.
- Computer system analysis, design, testing, debugging and maintenance techniques and practices.
Demonstrates ability to:
- Communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with technical and non-technical users to elicit information necessary to resolve problems and maintain systems.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with end users, colleagues, and technical staff.
- Manage time and resources and effectively balance multiple priorities.
- Assess, evaluate and implement organizational initiatives. The ability to communicate effectively with a demanding and diverse clientele.
- An understanding of how technology will enable the University of Mount Union to meet its overall education objectives.
- An understanding of networking infrastructure, current computer applications, and software packages, desktop software, multi-media materials.
Bachelor's degree in Information Systems or Computer Science and/or two or more years of significant experience is preferred. Or a combination of education, training, and experience equivalent to an Associate degree in IS/CS plus four years of experience including; application requirements; design, development and/or maintain and providing support for multiple moderately complex applications, programs, application functions, databases or application/user interfaces; implementing applications based on system life-cycle standards and IS architectural, data & security protocols; performing analysis and judgement outside established protocols; maintaining application requirements based on business requirements from clients and technical requirements and working effectively with some oversight.
Desirable attributes include excellent oral and written communication skills, customer service orientation, interpersonal and organizational skills, ability and enthusiasm to learn new systems, techniques, and procedures. Database and programming experience is expected. Familiarity with Microsoft current operating systems and Microsoft Office is required. Experience with MS SQL is also required. Experience with Oracle and Microsoft SQL reporting services is a plus.
Please submit a letter of application, resume, and the names and contact information of three references. Please click on the “Apply Now” button below to apply for this position.
Applications for the position will be reviewed until it is filled.