- Jessica Kostrab ’13
- Hometown: Chardon, Ohio
- Major: Geology
I chose to major in geology at Mount Union because I felt like I could make a difference and save lives by learning how to predict earthquakes.
Frequently Asked Questions about Commencement Weekend
- What is Baccalaureate?
- May parents attend Baccalaureate?
- Are parents or any other guests invited to the Senior Picnic following commencement rehearsal?
- Is Commencement practice mandatory?
- What is, and who is invited to, the Senior Send off event?
- How does one receive their cap and gown if they are unable to attend Senior Salute?
- How many tickets do seniors receive for Commencement, and how are the tickets obtained?
- Can we purchase additional Commencement tickets?
- Our student was unable to pick up commencement tickets at Senior Salute? How do we obtain them?
- Is handicap seating available?
- What is the best parking for handicap individuals?
- What is the attire for Senior activities?
- What time should we arrive for Commencement?
- How long is the Commencement Ceremony?
- When is the final determination made as to the location of the Commencement Ceremony?
- What is the Luncheon?
How many tickets do seniors receive for Commencement, and how are the tickets obtained?
Ten tickets will be distributed to each member of the graduating class at the Senior Salute Event. If the event is held indoors, ten tickets are for the Peterson Field House. If the event is held outside, additional persons may attend without a ticket, but please be mindful with seating by allowing those with tickets to be seated first.
Can we purchase additional Commencement tickets?
Tickets are considered complimentary and are not for sale. Additional tickets may be obtained by asking fellow classmates for additional tickets or by advertising the need on the Ennouncements.
Our student was unable to pick up commencement tickets at Senior Salute? How do we obtain them?
Preferred method is by students personally signing for them at the Office of Alumni Relations and University Activities in Beeghly Hall, or by making special arrangements by contacting the alumni office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is handicap seating available?
Yes, handicap seating is available. To obtain a ticket, the student must trade a gymnasium ticket for a special handicap seating ticket by personally visiting the Office of Alumni and University Activities.
What is the best parking for handicap individuals?
On the day of the event, there will clearly be an area marked for handicap parking and security will be available to direct traffic. It will be possible to pull up close to the area for drop off to the field house (if the event is held indoors) or near Chapman Hall (for outdoor ceremony.)
What is the attire for Senior activities?
Cap and gown are not required for Commencement practice. However, it is required for Honors Convocation as well as Baccalaureate and Commencement ceremonies. Please wear the black tassel on your cap at the Honors Convocation and Baccalaureate, and wear the colored tassel indicating your degree at Commencement.
When is the final determination made as to the location of the Commencement Ceremony?
The decision as to the location of the commencement ceremony will be made on the Monday before the event. Please check the website as the decision will be posted once made.
What is the Luncheon?
An optional gourmet buffet is offered for families in the HPCC prior to commencement. A completed luncheon registration form is requested and returned with payment to the Office of Alumni Relations by April 27. Seating is assigned due to the limited space.
In keeping with the academic significance of the Commencement ceremony, please refrain from posting signs, distributing literature, or undertaking any activity including horns, whistles, bells or loud sounding objects that might interfere with the dignity of the program.