Gian Steele ‘21
Major: Music Education
Hometown: Dover, Ohio
Member of concert choir, Alliance Symphony Orchestra, UMU Repertory String Chamber Orchestra.
Future professional musician
Choosing Mount Union
I chose to attend Mount Union not only because I knew so many professors who worked here, but because Mount Union has many of the most beautiful and harmonious music programs that I have ever witnessed in my lifetime.
I received the Heritage Award Scholarships, the Pro Musica Scholarship and the Music Performance Scholarship. Without these scholarships, my family would not have been able to afford an education for me at Mount Union. I am still very thankful to this day that I managed to receive these scholarships and I strive to do my very best every day to maintain a good GPA in order to keep them.
A Caring Campus
Mount Union cares about the progression and the personal situations of each student, not only on an academic level, but also on a mental and emotional level. I have already had plenty of friendly conversations with many of my professors here at Mount Union, and the semester isn’t even halfway over.
Passion for Music
I wanted to double major in Music Education and Music Performance because I would love to not only sing and perform for a living, but to also teach another generation of musicians the techniques and life lessons that I have learned.
My favorite class so far would have to be the Concert Choir. Getting the privilege to sing with an incredibly intelligent, empathetic and musical ensemble is such an amazing gift to be a part of, and I love to sing along with such an amazing team and with such an amazing choral director.
Benefits of a Liberal Arts Degree
Combining a liberal arts education and professional preparation can lead to an impressive amount of experience in your particular field, which is what many graduate schools and professional businesses look for in their students, employees and interns.
I hope to become a professional musician and perform for a living, and/or attend the Julliard School of Music, obtain my doctorate’s degree and teach a music course or multiple music courses at a private university.
Getting the privilege to sing with an incredibly intelligent, empathetic and musical ensemble is such an amazing gift to be a part of, and I love to sing along with such an amazing team and with such an amazing choral director.
- What is your favorite holiday, and why?
- My favorite holiday is Christmas because I get to spend time with my family and not have to worry about which piece of music to study next.
- What is your favorite quote or motto?
- “Friendship isn’t always easy, but there’s no doubt it’s worth fighting for,” -Tara Strong
- What three songs define your music tastes?
- “Chaos” by Aviators, “Time to Say Goodbye” by Andrea Bocelli and “The Way” Fastball
- What did you want to be when you grew up as a kid?
- I’m pretty sure that I wanted to be either a doctor, or a video game tester. My, have the times changed…
- What is your most used emoji?
- The crying with laughter face. It’s always good to share a funny meme with your friends and to get a kick out of their reaction.