Dr. James Thoma
Teaching Area(s): Sport Business
Title: Professor of Sport Business | Director of Sport Business Program
Courses Taught: Introduction to Sport Business, International Sport Business
Proudest Professional Accomplishments
Some of my proudest accomplishments include publishing a book, working in many different countries and helping with the start of both the engineering and Chinese departments here at Mount Union.
I would have to say the best part about my job is getting to know my students.
Preparing Students for Life
The Sport Business Program at Mount Union does a great job preparing students for life beyond the classroom. We focus on active learning experiences- bringing in professional speakers and taking students to places like the Quicken Loans Arena to present in front of experts in the field.
Incoming Students- Be Involved!
I would definitely advise new students to get involved with the Mount Union community. Only you control your destiny and joining organizations on campus is a great step in the right direction.
My favorite building on campus has to be the MAAC. The MAAC houses not only my office, but also Sports Business classes and facilities, allowing me to have a self-contained lifestyle where I can meet with students, but also work independently in my office.
B.S., Metallurgical Engineering
M.A., Sport Management
Ph.D. Sport Science
In my opinion, students learn best by doing. I try to keep my classes highly engaged with plenty of hands-on learning opportunities.
- If you could teach one class outside of your discipline, what would it be?
- World Politics
- What is your favorite quote or motto?
- Treat people as you want to be treated
- What is one thing most people would be surprised to find out about you?
- I have a B.S. in metallurgical engineering
- If you weren’t a professor, what job would you have?
- Either a coach or National Sport Administrator
- What is your favorite book?
- “They Call Me Coach” by John Wooden