Jessica Klaus ’M ’13
Teaching Area(s): PA Studies
Hometown: Gaithersburg, Maryland
Job Title: Clinical Coordinator and Assistant Professor of Physician Assistant Studies
MY EXCEPTIONAL STORY
I learn so much from teaching! I’ve always loved the academic world. I enjoy seeing students connect information and learn.
Proudest Professional Accomplishments
Graduating for the Physician Assistant Studies Program at Mount Union and getting hired into my dream jobs.
Professional Development seminar and the Clinical Practicums for the Physician Assistant Studies Program.
I use visual aids and repetition and feedback are important. I enjoy teaching concepts in a simple way, not just teaching how to memorize information.
Gallaher Hall, it’s my home.
The campus offers so much to its students and has a small intimate feel as well as having a stunning landscape.
Quality of Education
Besides the gorgeous, quiet campus atmosphere, the countless amenities to students and the perfect setting of the University in Alliance, Ohio, I’d recommend Mount Union’s PA program for the quality of education received. Mount Union’s PAs are the most well prepared for clinical practice.
Prepared for Success
The curriculum at Mount Union is designed to focus on and teach vital aspects of the clinical career. I think the overall progressive nature of the program is key – beginning in the first semester with fundamentals, getting everyone to the same level, then adding clinical educations and study. That foundation naturally leads to hands-on training and practice with multiple opportunities to learn and be corrected, to be better and feel confident.
Physician Assistant Profession
I encourage any person who is patient, humble, kind and interested in improving others’ lives to pursue a career in medicine as a physician assistant. I love the program and profession so much.
I participated in 12 months of clinical rotations at Mount Union. This type of program is all about how much you are willing to put in or get out! They have a well-stocked clinical lab and mock surgical suite to practice on mannequins as well and several opportunities to practice with live patients in scenario-based situations.
- What’s your favorite book?
- The Book of Mormon
- Where is your favorite travel destination?
- With family…Charleston SC, Raleigh NC, Pheonix AZ, Knoxville TN, Washington DC!
- If you could have lunch with anyone, who would you choose and why?
- A really good dermatologist…I struggle with rashes in practice.
- What is your favorite quote or motto?
- “Your character is determined by what you stand for; your reputation is determined by what you fall for.”
- If you could try out any job for a day, what would it be and why?
- Tough choice…a flight attendant (I love to travel and meet new people) or a bank teller (I like to collect old bills and coins).
- What’s the #1 most played song on your iTunes?
- “Never Surrender” by Corey Hart
- You’re meeting a friend for coffee. What do you order?
- Hot chocolate
- What’s your all-time favorite movie or TV show?
- “Fixer Upper” – I’d love to flip a house!