Joseph Forchione '13
Major: Finance/Healthcare Management
Job Title: Associate Trader
Major(s) While at Mount Union: Finance and Healthcare Management
Employer: Mercer Advisors
I work as one of the junior trader/analysts on the firm’s asset management desk with a focus in fixed income. My primary responsibilities include analysis and trading of client portfolios composed of corporate and municipal debt instruments.
MY EXCEPTIONAL STORY
Favorite Part of Job
My favorite part of my job is being directly involved in the trading aspect of capital markets. It is a fast-paced environment that allows you to push the limits of your personal and professional potential with each new day.
I was able to undertake additional responsibilities outside of the classroom, some with specific benefits to my future career and others philanthropic. These afforded me experiences and skillsets that were looked on as valuable by potential employers when I began my career search.
Each professor at Mount Union shaped the graduate I became in their own way, but I have to give special recognition to Professor of Finance Dr. Patricia (Foley ’73) Matthews for not only being an enormous influence on my academic career and pursuit of excellence in the field of finance, but also being an outstanding role model and counselor. The obvious dedication to her passion for teaching and finance was always apparent and inspiring.
Mount Union provided an environment where students not only pushed themselves to the brink of academic excellence, but were encouraged to explore other aspects of a liberal arts institution. This added more value to my degree than I ever realized after my first few years after graduation.
Advice to Students
It’s OK to feel lost and not know what the next step is – that is an essential part of getting to what is next for you. The things that come easy or without a lot of effort most often in life aren’t nearly as rewarding as what you have to work hard for. Take as much risk as you can handle while you can afford it, you will eventually be rewarded. No excuses, go get what you want out of your life, and if it doesn’t come easy, try harder.
Mount Union provided an environment where students not only pushed themselves to the brink of academic excellence, but were encouraged to explore other aspects of a liberal arts institution.
- What is number one on your bucket list?
- Visit each of the seven continents.
- Who is your hero?
- My grandfather.
- What is your favorite movie?
- "The Godfather" Trilogy (1,3, 2 – in that order)
- If you could have dinner with anyone, who would you choose and why?
- Pope Francis, prior to his confirmation as Pope, where he could speak candidly.
- What occupation did you want to be when you were a kid?
- A firefighter
- What’s one thing most people would be surprised to find out about you?
- I really enjoy learning about extreme weather, mostly tornados, and I could listen to 70s funk music anytime of the day.
- If you could have any job in the world, what would it be?
- A comedian/entertainer