Kolenbrander-Harter Information Center (Library)
Kolenbrander-Harter Information Center (2000) and Library (1950)
The Kolenbrander-Harter Information Center provides 45,912 square feet of technology and learning space, which is directly linked to the traditional library space. It houses the Center for Writing and Oral Communication, PC labs, a Macintosh lab, a computer science lab, a language lab, several multimedia classrooms, 24-hour access to study space, computer labs and vending. It also contains classrooms and office space for the departments of computer science/information systems, foreign languages and communication. The facility was made possible through a lead gift from Steve '84 and Suzanne (Spisak '84) Harter.
Originally built in 1950 and expanded in 1975, the University Library is located within the Kolenbrander-Harter Information Center. The library offers more than 230,000 books in open stacks, more than 900 current journal titles, back years of journals in both bound and microform format, and more than 350,000 federal government publications. Access to a wide range of computer databases and electronic full-text products is available via campus networked access to the Internet. Library collections are accessed through the OPAL catalog. Mount Union is part of a 19 library catalog consortium which uses the Innovative Interfaces software system. As part of the OhioLINK system, our users may borrow materials directly from all OPAL libraries as well as any of the 74 OhioLINK libraries throughout the state of Ohio. In addition to the OPAL catalog, the Mount Union library home page on the Internet offers access to more than 200 periodical indexes in a wide array of subject areas, more than 5,000 full-text periodical titles, a range of encyclopedias and dictionaries, and several gateways to federal government document resources. Special collections are located in the Rare Books Room and the Historical Room which houses the University's archives and a local history collection. The estate of Louis H. Brush makes annual grants to purchase books and periodicals in memory of James Alpheus Brush, the first Librarian of the University, and his wife. The Thomas S. Brush Foundation, Inc. made a gift of approximately $500,000 in 1971 to the Endowment Fund of the University with the income to be used for purchase of books and periodicals in memory of Mr. Brush's grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Louis H. Brush. The Sturgeon Music Library, located in Cope Music Hall, houses 7,000 recordings, 10,000 scores, current music periodicals and a music reference collection. Listening stations equipped with compact disc players, turntables and cassette recorders are provided for student use, as well as a soundproof listening room. The Science Library provides the most recent three years of science journals and a science reference collection in close proximity to science classrooms and laboratories.