Medical Laboratory Science Clinical Year
The University of Mount Union 3+1 Medical Laboratory Science Program
Students in this program spend three years at Mount Union and are prepared to apply for a final year of clinical training at our affiliated Institutions. Our present affiliates are the Cleveland Clinic School of Medical Laboratory Science in Cleveland, Ohio and the Saint Vincent School of Medical Technology in Erie, Pennsylvania. Upon successful completion, the Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Laboratory Science is awarded by Mount Union. Graduates are eligible to sit for the Board of Certification (BOC) examination given by the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP). The three years spent at Mount Union provide a basic foundation in science and a broad liberal arts background, completing all Integrative Core Requirements, before the year of professional training at the hospital affiliate. Application to the clinical year at the Cleveland Clinic requires a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA and a minimum of 2.5 in math and the sciences. The Saint Vincent program requires a minimum of a 2.8 cumulative GPA and a 2.8 GPA in the sciences for application consideration. Admission to the clinical year is highly competitive and meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee acceptance. Applicants with higher grade point averages are given preference.
The prerequisite for clinical courses in Medical Laboratory Science consists of a minimum of 40 semester hours of course work in biology, chemistry and mathematics. These courses taken at Mount Union specifically include the following.
Required UMU Courses (first three years)
- BIO 140 The Unity of Life - 4 semester hours
- BIO 141 The Diversity of Life - 4 semester hours
- CHE 120 Concepts in Chemistry - 4 semester hours
- CHE 220 Analytical Chemistry – 4 semester hours
- CHE 231 Organic Chemistry I – 4 semester hours
- CHE 232 Organic Chemistry II – 4 semester hours
- BIO 240 Genetics - 4 semester hours
- BIO 305 Microbiology - 4 semester hours
- BIO 340 Immunology - 4 semester hours
- MTH 123 Elementary Statistics - 4 semester hours or MTH 141 Calculus I - 4 semester hours
The “clinical year” of training at our hospital affiliates amounts to 50-51 weeks of intense study and laboratory experience, culminating in a comprehensive examination, all parts of which must be passed in order to graduate.
Major Courses taken at the Cleveland Clinic
Major Courses taken at Saint Vincent Hospital