Minority Achievement Award
Saturday, January 27, 2018
Saturday, March 17, 2018
The University of Mount Union has been dedicated to providing the finest educational opportunities for students since 1846. Today, Mount Union maintains its commitment to educating men and women of all races in keeping with our mission to prepare students for fulfilling lives, meaningful work and responsible citizenship. The University continues to recognize the value that a diverse student body brings to the entire campus community and the educational benefit it provides to students.
The Minority Achievement Award, offered as a result of an on-campus interview and essay competition, is open to incoming freshmen who are African-American, American-Indian or Alaska Native, Hispanic or Latino, Asian-Americans, Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander and multiracial students. In addition, students who are members of other American minority groups or other groups underrepresented on Mount Union’s campus are welcome to submit a brief letter requesting the opportunity to compete. The Minority Achievement Committee will review and respond to all letters received.
Tier I: $17,500
- Minimum class rank in graduating class of 20% or minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale or an ACT score of at least 25 or an SAT-I score of at least 1130 (CR+M) or a new SAT-I score (March 2016 and forward) of at least 1200 (ERW+M).
Based on the competition results, the University will select 5 recipients to receive an award of $17,500. This award is renewable for up to four years (8 consecutive semesters) at the same dollar amount, provided the recipient has been actively involved in at least one campus organization dedicated to diversity.
Tier II: $5,000
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
Based on the results of the essay and interview, the University may select recipients to receive an award of $5,000. This award is renewable for up to four years (8 consecutive semesters) at the same dollar amount, provided the recipient has been actively involved in at least one campus organization dedicated to diversity.
How to Compete
- Students meeting the above eligibility criteria requirements must apply and be accepted to the University of Mount Union.
- Register for the Minority Achievement Award competition by logging in to your Mount Union application account.
- If registration access is not available through your application account, or if you have questions about your eligibility, please contact your admission representative or the Office of Admission at (800) 334-6682.
- Candidates should register for the first available competition event if possible.
- Personal interview session with University faculty/staff
- On-campus essay
- Formal luncheon or dinner provided by University of Mount Union
- Campus tours (optional)
Notification of results:
- Competition results will be announced within 3 weeks following the event.
- Office of Admission: (330) 823-2590, (800) 334-6682
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org