I know what some of my readers are thinking: “why the heck did this guy write that he loves Disney? I mean, drums are awesome, and I LOVE comedies, but what the heck is this Disney thing about?” Well friends, …Read more
Minority Achievement Award
The University of Mount Union has been dedicated to providing the finest educational opportunities for students since 1846. Today, Mount Union maintains its commitment to educating men and women of all races in keeping with our mission to prepare students for fulfilling lives, meaningful work and responsible citizenship. The University continues to recognize the value that a diverse student body brings to the entire campus community and the educational benefit it provides to students.
The Minority Achievement Award, offered as a result of an on-campus interview and essay competition, is open to incoming freshmen who are African-American, American-Indian or Alaska Native, Hispanic or Latino, Asian-Americans, Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander and multiracial students. In addition, students who are members of other American minority groups or other groups underrepresented on Mount Union’s campus are welcome to submit a brief letter requesting the opportunity to compete. The Minority Achievement Committee will review and respond to all letters received.
- Minimum class rank in graduating class of 20% or minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale or minimum ACT score of 25 or minimum SAT-I score of 1130 (excluding Writing portion)
Based on the competition results, the University will select 5 recipients to receive an award of $12,000. This award is renewable for up to four years (8 semesters) at the same dollar amount, provided the recipient has been actively involved in at least one campus organization dedicated to diversity.
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
Based on the results of the essay and interview, the University may select recipients to receive an award of $5,000. This award is renewable for up to four years (8 semesters) at the same dollar amount, provided the recipient has been actively involved in at least one campus organization dedicated to diversity.
How to Compete
If you have not already, submit the following at least one week prior to the competition date:
- The application for admission to the University of Mount Union
- An official, high school transcript and ACT or SAT-I score (if the Office of Admission does not already have one on file)
If an eligible candidate cannot complete the admissions process prior to the competition date, he/she may still participate in the competition by submitting an official transcript and contacting the Office of Admission to schedule a competition date. While it is not required to be admitted to the University to compete, candidates must have submitted all original admission application materials to the University prior to the award notification date of April 1, 2015 to be offered a Minority Achievement Award.
- Register for one of the competition dates.
- As an eligible candidate, you may register for the Minority Achievement competition by logging into your Mount Union application account: https://admission.mountunion.edu/status.
- Registration deadline: One week prior to competition date
Walk-ins will not be permitted to compete
- If you have questions regarding your eligibility to compete in Mount Union’s Minority Achievement Award, please complete this form: https://admission.mountunion.edu/register/MAA-questions
- Participate in one of the on-campus interview/essay dates:
- Thursday, February 19 (8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.)
- Thursday, March 12 (4:30 – 8:30 p.m.)
- Personal interview session with University faculty/staff
- On-Campus Essay
- Formal luncheon or dinner provided by University of Mount Union
- Campus tours available upon advanced request
Notification of results:
- April 1, 2015
- Office of Admission: (330) 823-2590, (800) 334-6682
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org