Mount Union College Holds Annual Senior Recognition and Honors Convocation
April 25, 2008
Mount Union College held its annual Senior Recognition and Honors Convocation Thursday, April 24 honoring graduating seniors and underclass students who have excelled academically, displayed excellent leadership skills and shown dedication to the College and community through outstanding community service initiatives.
More than 90 awards were presented to deserving students, ranging from general to discipline-specific. The following students were honored:
- The Arthur Dimit Prize honored Hattie B. Newman, a junior business administration major of Alliance.
- The Black Student Union Service Award was presented to Victoria Snyder, a senior history major of Monaca, PA.
- The Black Student Union Outstanding Senior Award and the James H. Wuske Endowed Prize were given to Marcus J. Jackson, a senior middle childhood education major of Columbus.
- The Doyle-Montagno Prize was awarded to Robert G. Surbella, a sophomore biochemistry major of Ashtabula.
- The International Student Community Service Award recognized Taku Miyazaki, a senior business administration and sport management major of Tokyo, Japan
- The Laurie Kolenbrander Public Service Award recognized Katrina D. Hermetet, a senior psychology major of North Olmsted.
- The Chris Schuh Award went to Kyle L. Miller, a sophomore health and physical education major of Elida.
- The Dean Taylor Leadership Prize was awarded to Jesùs E. Sánchez, a sophomore international business and economics of Ashtabula.
- The Charles J. Ping Student Community Service Award honored Tiffany M. Watson, a senior exercise science major of Ashtabula.
- The Carter Academic-Service Entrepreneur Grant was awarded to Heather L. Stump, a sophomore early childhood education major of Wadsworth.
- The Maria Leonard Book Award went to Kayla E. Frank, a senior environmental biology major of Canton and Keith R. Miller, a senior chemistry major of Atwater. Frank also received The Biology Faculty Award and Miller also received The Louis A. Pappenhagen Prize.
- The Dean's Purchase Awards in Art recognized Sarah R. Mickley, a senior art major of Carrollton; Cara J. McEldowney, a junior art major of Salem; Kelli A. Paugh, a sophomore art major of Barberton; Heather S. Walker, a senior art major of Mogadore; and Brandi M. Hershey, a senior art and business administration major of West Salem.
- The Mary Evelyn Cook Weber Prize went to Lauren Dennis, a junior art major of Sagamore Hills.
- The "Decade of Excellence" Prize was awarded to Daryl W. Ely, a junior sport management major of Winter Springs, FL.
- The Marguerite "Peg" Lynn Freshman Award honored Samuel I. Kershaw, a freshman business administration major of West Jefferson.
- The Joseph Montgomery Leadership Prize was awarded to Justin A. Lutz, a sophomore mathematics major of Bloomville; Jay B. Carpenter, a sophomore chemistry major of Fairmont, WV; and Nathan M. Kmic, a junior business administration major of Delta.
- The Ken Wable Prize went to Christopher W. Kappas, a senior physical education major of Pittsburgh, PA and Matthew L. Kostelnik, a senior history major of Avon Lake.
- The Corl James Zimmerman Award was presented to Amanda D. Kohler, a senior business administration major of Uniontown and Steven R. Gillespie, a senior media computing major of Brecksville.
- The Shumaker Physiology Prize was awarded to Susan E. Ball, a senior biology major of East Liverpool.
- The Alumni Chemistry Award was presented to Elizabeth J. Herman, a sophomore biochemistry of Wapakoneta and Eric J. Popczun, a sophomore chemistry major of Streetsboro. Herman also received The Dr. J and G.E. Brugger Pre-Med Award.
- The American Institute of Chemists Award honored Anthony D. Brewer, a senior biochemistry major of Painesville.
- The Bertha H. Tsai Award was given to Anastasia L. Smith, a junior biochemistry major of New Concord.
- The Robert I. Brainard, Jr. Communications Award recognized Jessica R. Eggan, a senior media studies major of Uhrichsville and Jacey E. Jenkins, a senior media studies major of Powell.
- The Cynthia L. Hepler Radio Award was presented to Joshua W. Dunn, a junior media studies major of Boardman.
- The Krahling Journalism Award went to Kristin M. Bowling, a sophomore media studies major of Homerville.
- The Alumni Computer Science and Information Systems Prize was awarded to Jason S. Prodonovich, a senior computer science and philosophy major of Industry, PA; Derek J. Selgo, a senior computer science major of Archbold; and Justin A. Brew, a junior computer science major of Mentor.
- The Robert E. Hillier Family Scholarship was given to Jenna L. Patterson, a senior business administration major of Industry, PA and Sarah K. Parker, a junior business administration and communication major of Geneva.
- The Robert L. and Flora Curtis Kniveton Accounting Prize was awarded to Andrew S. Warner, a senior accounting and business administration major of North Canton.
- The David Ellis Shively Sophomore Award went to Sidra Gulzar, a sophomore accounting major of Alliance.
- The Hubert R. Pinney Senior Award in the Department of Economics, Accounting and Business Administration honored Daniel A. Luketic, a senior business administration major of Rootstown and Justin A. Shaub, a senior business administration major of North Canton.
- The Ethel Mellinger Award in Elementary Education was presented to Kelly A. Croysdale, a senior early childhood education major of Youngstown and Katie L. Bober, a senior middle childhood education major of Parma.
- The Phi Delta Kappa Secondary Education Award recognized Jennifer Moreck, a senior history major of Kent.
- The Amelia Alexander Dillow Prize honored Emily B. Kirkpatrick, a junior English: literature major of Louisville.
- The Eric A. and Mary W. Eckler English Prize was awarded to Amanda C. Giangardella, a senior English: literature major of Warren.
- The William H. McMaster, Jr. Senior English Prize recognized Anna E. McClaugherty, a senior English: literature major of Alliance.
- The Stephen Family Prize for Writing was awarded to Mackenzie A. Shay, a senior English: writing major of Kent.
- The John E. and Helen W. Saffell Prize went to John P. Gallo, a junior English: literature major of Lisbon.
- The Mary Frost French Prize recognized Amanda R. Kusler, a senior French major of N. Lawrence.
- The Rufus Ruth Romance Language Prize was presented to Cassaundra R. Hickman, a senior Spanish major of Alliance and Nathaniel R. Kamban, a senior French and international studies major of New Philadelphia.
- The George and Shirley Weimer Prize in German went to Matthew R. Corum, a junior German and international studies major of Brecksville.
- The George and Shirley Weimer Prize in Japanese honored Paul B. McCartney, a sophomore Japanese and mathematics major of Alliance.
- The Geology Award was presented to Andrew J. McFarland, a senior geology major of Strongsville.
- The Glenn E. Scott Prize in Paleontology was awarded to Jennifer A. Peteya, a junior art and geology major of North Canton.
- The Harold R. Dillow Geology Prize went to Joshua T. Maurer, a senior geology major of Dover.
- The Richard L. and Connie VanderMeulen Doyle Prize recognized John M. Rosati, a junior history major of Lakewood and Julia L. Bober, a junior history major of Carrollton.
- The Fishel History Prize went to Erica R. Luscre, a junior history major of Stow.
- The Daniel Kibler, MD Prize was awarded to Aaron R. Schumacher, a junior athletic training major of Canton.
- The Physical Education, Health, Sports Medicine and Sport Management Prize was presented to Sara M. Ely, a senior health and physical education major of Mentor.
- The Gordon L. Wable Memorial Prize recognized Caleb Jones, a senior health and physical education major of Shelby.
- The International Studies Award was presented to Matthew C. Mendrala, a junior international studies major of Conneaut.
- The Wilbur and Burdella Stuckey Carl Mathematics Prize honored Vincent Gregoric, a freshman mathematics major of Mayfield Heights; David Z. Keifer, a freshman chemistry major of Niles; Jennifer Ryan, a freshman mathematics major of Lorain; and Emily L. Wagner, a freshman chemistry major of Minerva.
- The Ullman Mathematics Prize went to Laura A. Homa, a senior mathematics major of Highland Heights and Kevin M. Kreighbaum, a senior mathematics major of Cuyahoga Falls.
- The Music Faculty Award recognized Jeremy C. Roseberry, a senior music education major of Wadsworth and Jaclyn N. Kurtz, a senior music education major of Hudson.
- The Sophomore Choral Award was presented to Andrew B. Potts, a sophomore music performance major of New Philadelphia.
- The Cecil T. and Marian H. Stewart Award and The George L. and Margaret Wagner King Prize for the Performing Arts went to Laura K. Jurasko, a senior music education major of Mingo Junction.
- The Teeple-Krohn Prize honored Allison K. Flach, a senior early childhood education major of Painesville.
- The American Bible Society Award was presented to Ashley E. Gaier, a senior religious studies major of Canfield.
- The Oscar W. and Viola H. Dunn Bible Prize went to Sarah E. Stuckey, a senior religious studies major of Perrysburg.
- The Charles and Ilene Hart Prize in Physics was awarded to Justin W. Wray, a senior physics and astronomy major of Vandergrift, PA.
- The Physics Faculty’s Prize in Physics went to Zachary D. Barker, a senior physics and astronomy major of Homeworth and Gregory M. Micheli, a senior mathematics and physics and astronomy major of Upper Sandusky.
- The Political Science Award was given to Matthew B. MarLett, a junior political science major of Canton.
- The Kitzmiller Psychology Prize recognized Lauren C. Alexander, a senior political science major of North Canton.
- The Shea Zellweger Psychology Service Award went to Jennifer L. Mendez, a senior psychology major of Lorain and to Hermetet.
- The William H. Porter, Jr. Sociology Award honored Sarah G. Cochran, a senior sociology major of Springfield; Jennifer J. Ciszewski, a senior history and political science major of Highland Heights and Matthew W. Onest, a senior sociology major of Cuyahoga Falls. Cochran also received The Sociology Senior Research Prize.
- The Dramatics Award went to Amanda McCarther, a senior theatre major of Lexington.
- The Mount Union Players' Hall of Fame Award was presented to Amanda C. Tweddell, a senior theatre major of Parma.
Students were also recognized for being selected to Who's Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges for 2008, for being inducted into Sophomore Service Honorary and for receiving Alpha Lambda Delta senior certificates.
Elizabeth M. Macura, the senior class president, presented the senior gift to Mount Union College President Richard Giese, which will be used for the entrance way of the recreational facility after renovations have been completed. Macura also handed the gavel to the incoming president for the Class of 2009.
The 2008 Great Teacher Award was presented to Dr. Ronald W. Mendel, assistant professor of human performance and sport management.
Lauren Brobeck and Daniel Luketic were recognized for being named Outstanding Senior Woman and Man respectively.