Courtney Wachal ‘15

Major: French/International Studies
Hometown:Bettendorf, Iowa

Dr. Grant Cook, who is the choral director at Mount Union, has taught his students to appreciate our lives and be thankful.


New Student FAQS



How do I receive credit for Advanced Placement (AP) exams or post-secondary classes?
We cannot take this information from your high school transcript. We must receive an official AP score report from College Board, the company that administers AP exams. The scores are available online at starting in July. If you took Post-Secondary Enrollment Option (PSEO) or dual-credit classes, you must order an official transcript from the college/university that offered the credit. Send your scores to the Office of the Registrar at Mount Union as soon as your courses are completed. We should receive this information before the first day of classes!

How do I register for classes?
For your initial registration, you will provide academic information at the time you register online for Preview, and, based on what you tell us, the Office of the Registrar will prepare a schedule for you. When you come to a summer Preview session, you will have the opportunity to review and make changes to that schedule with an academic advisor.

For the next semester, you will register online after meeting with your academic advisor, who will be the instructor from your First Year Seminar (FYS) course, for guidance. The registration system is known as Self-Service, and you are able to register and make changes during certain registration periods. Your advisor has to authorize you for online access.

Who is my advisor?
Your First Year Seminar professor will serve as your advisor for the entire first semester.  When you are ready to declare a major, you will have a new advisor from the appropriate academic department. 

How do I declare a major?
You notify the Office of the Registrar so that the information can be entered in Self-Service. You can use a paper form, or you can complete the form online. Students are also required to have a minor area of study, and this is also “declared” when you make that decision. Students may have more than one major or minor. However, if you double major, you are not required to have a minor.

What if I haven’t decided on a major yet?
You don’t have to declare your major immediately. Many students take a while to make this decision. Your advisor will be a good resource with this, and we have an Office of Students in Academic Transition as well. The staff in that office can advise you about the available majors, and students can take various assessments to determine their strengths and personal preferences.

How many classes will I take?
The normal class load will be four four-credit-hour classes each semester. By taking at least 16 hours each semester, you will reach the required 128 hours for graduation in four years. 

Am I required to attend every class?
The University Catalogue says this: “It is expected that each student will attend and participate during all class and laboratory sessions for which he or she is registered.” If you must be absent from class, for any reason, you should contact your professor about the reason for the absence and the method of making up missed assignments. Many faculty members have attendance policies for individual classes, and they may or may not allow you to make up missed work.

How do I see my grades?
Your grade report and unofficial transcript are viewed in Self-Service. At the mid-point of the semester, a mid-term grade is entered if your performance needs improvement. If you receive a mid-term grade in any class, you should consult with the professor and your advisor. Also, take advantage of the resources available in the Center for Student Success. They offer assistance in study skills, time management and selecting a major, if necessary.

Will my parents see my grades?
Your education record is your own, and we do not share academic information with parents unless you give us permission. Grades are not mailed to your residence. However, you may give your parents shared access to certain functions in your Self-Service account.

Business Affairs/Financial Aid

When do I apply for financial aid?
Seniors in high school can file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as early as January 1. Students apply annually. More information can be found at

Can I view my financial aid award online?
Yes. First-time users must set up an account on NetPartner, which can be done online at You can also view missing documents that still need to be completed and submitted to Mount Union's Office of Student Financial Services.

What is the total cost to attend for the 2014-2015 Academic Year?
The cost for tuition, fees, room and board is $37,190. If not residing on campus, the cost is $27,990.

Are books and supplies included in the direct cost?
No, your direct cost includes tuition, fees, room and board (if living on campus). We estimate students spend about $1,100 on books per year.

What payment plans are available if I cannot pay the entire amount at one time?
We have a semester payment plan with payments due on July 31 for the fall semester, and January 3 for the spring semester. We also have a monthly payment plan offered by one of our partner companies, Nelnet, that allows monthly payments due on the 5th of each month. There is a one-time, nonrefundable application fee of $60 for this plan.

Do you accept credit cards for payment?
We do allow credit card payments. The University accepts Visa, MasterCard and Discover for payments made at the cashier’s window as well as payments made via the student portal or the public portal. If you participate in the monthly plan, that payment provider accepts those cards as well as American Express. For security purposes, payments are not accepted over the phone.

What happens if I am unable to pay my bill for any reason?
If you have not signed up for the monthly payment plan and do not pay your bill on time, a 1% late fee will be assessed to the account monthly after school begins. Also, the student account will be placed on hold. This will prohibit them from viewing grades as well as registering for classes for the next semester. While the student account is on financial hold, no transcripts will be released until the balance on the account is paid in full.

What is the Tuition Payment Agreement and why do we have to return it?
The Tuition Payment Agreement is the financial agreement and legal obligation between the student and the University. It is very important that we receive this form. The agreement needs to be signed by the student and returned to the Office of Business Affairs by July 31, 2014. Failure to return the signed agreement will prohibit registration.

Why is the balance on my first statement so different from the balance we figured on the Payment Options Brochure?
The first statement that you receive during the first week of July will show the actual charges that have been assessed to your student account as well as any aid that is expected. Some aid cannot be credited to the student account until the week before school begins. Most of this aid should show as anticipated aid on the billing statement. However, some aid, such as outside scholarships or aid still in process waiting on forms or approvals, may not show on the billing statement. This aid should appear on the August statement. If there is still anticipated aid on the September statement, you should contact the Financial Services Office to confirm there are no missing forms that would prohibit the aid from disbursing to the student account.

When will I receive my first bill?
The Office of Business Affairs will send students a billing statement the beginning of July for the fall semester. Payment is due by July 31.

What other important forms need to be turned it before the start of school?
The student needs to complete the blue FERPA form, which allows us to talk to any authorized party listed on the form about the tuition account and payment arrangements. The student also needs to sign the Federal Title IV Authorization form. This form allows us to use federal aid monies to pay for miscellaneous fees other than tuition and board, and also allows us to hold any refunds on the student account if that is what is desired.

Can my parents/guardians check my balance?
You can give your parents/guardians access to your account via the self-service portal. Under self-service, the student will click on My Profile, and Shared Access. There, they will invite the user. There are a number of options available to share, including but not limited to: tuition balance, financial aid and grade reports. We also currently send out monthly statements to the student’s home address. We ask that you review these statements to verify that all the charges and aid are correct.

What if the student account is overpaid after all the aid has been received?
If the student account indicates a credit balance, a refund will be issued once the student requests it. A form is available on the self-service portal to request the refund. Refunds will be issued weekly and are submitted to ECSI for processing. Refunds are disbursed by Direct Deposit of Paper Check. Every student will need to enroll in one of these options before making a refund request. If the enrollment information is not received, refunds will be sent in the form of a paper check and mailed to the home address on file.

How can I access cash on campus?
A Huntington Bank ATM is located in the Hoover Price Campus Center. Mount Union’s cashier’s office is also open Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on the second floor of Beeghly Hall. Personal checks may be cashed up to a limit of $50. If you have a personal check in excess of this amount, the cashier can make arrangements to cash your check with a local bank. Student paychecks will fall under this limit also. Cash will be given up to $50 while the remainder can be applied to the student's outstanding account. Local banks include Huntington Bank, Charter One, Key Bank and Chase Bank.

What other services are available at the cashier’s window of the Office of Business Affairs?
Any student account questions can be answered by the staff in the Office of Business Affairs. Any billing that needs to be sent to receive outside scholarships are handled by the cashier.

Where is the Office of Business Affairs/Cashier’s Window?
Second floor of Beeghly Hall. It is open Monday – Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Does Mount Union have a work study program?
Yes, we have on campus and community service jobs available. Please stop by Mount Union's Office of Student Financial Services (located in the lower level of the Gartner Welcome Center) to see if you are eligible for federal work study or campus employment. Jobs are posted on the portal the third week of August.


Student Life

What is the social life like at Mount Union?
There are TONS of things to do on campus! But the trick is to get involved…

  • The Raider Programming Board regularly plans and organizes social events both on and off of campus. In fact, this group has several event series including Midweek Madness, After Hours,Coffeehouse and the Movie Series. With all of these going on, there is an event (or two or three) every week while school’s in session!
  • During the week and on the weekends, you'll find Mount Union students attending sporting events as well as concerts and theatre productions. Mount Union hosts 23 intercollegiate athletic teams, the Mount Union Players theatre performers and a wide array of instrumental and choral ensembles also perform on campus. These things, combined with the coffeehouse, movie series and After Hours events mean there is plenty do at Mount on the weekends too!
  • Mount Union hosts four national fraternities, three national sororities and one local sorority. All students who are interested participate in what’s called the “recruitment process” in September. There is also opportunity to join later in the year, but the main time is in early in fall semester. Some weekends during the year, the fraternities will take turns hosting social events, which are by invitation only and registered with the University.
  • There are more than 80 student-run organizations in which you can be involved. Continue with an activity you've done in high school, or be brave and try something new!
  • For new students, we offer Emerging Leaders, a peer-led leadership program designed for those in their first year.
  • Carnation City Mall is easily accessible to our students, as well as several restaurants (Taco Bell, Chipotle, Panera and Sheetz are favorites among our students). Alliance also boasts the Glamorgan Castle and the Mabel Hartzell historical museum and even has its own symphony orchestra!
  • If a trek off campus sounds good to you, Canton, Ohio is just a short 25-minute drive away. Attractions include the Professional Football Hall of Fame and lots of shopping and restaurants. If the arts tickle your fancy, the Canton Player's Guild, Canton Ballet and the Canton Symphony Orchestra put on regular performances throughout the year.

You'll have lots of fun just hanging out with your new friends and making memories! Remember...the sooner you get involved, the better.

How often do students go home?
Never, sometimes and often – we have students who fit into all three of those categories. However, the more involved the student is in out-of-class activities, the more likely he or she is to stick around!

Being involved in campus organizations is very much a part of the culture at the University of Mount Union. It's hard to find a Mount Union student who just takes classes; they can't resist the many opportunities for campus involvement! In general, students are most likely to make a trek home over long weekends and fall break. Keep in mind that most of our students' hometowns are within a 100-mile radius or less of Mount Union, so quick trips home here and there are common. But they usually return in plenty of time for whatever is going on that night on campus.


How does the meal plan work?
First-time Mount Union students will automatically have the unlimited meal plan, and returning Mount Union students have their choice between three different main plans if they live in the residence halls.  Apartment residents, off-campus students and commuters can select from any of the three main plans or either of the two block plans.

  • Unlimited meal plan – Unlimited access to the Dining Commons during all hours of operation. Breakfast can be substituted for a beverage and baked goods at the KHIC Coffee Bar.
  • 14 Meal Plan – (includes $50 in Dining Dollars) 14 meals each week in the Dining Commons or Coffee Bar with $50 to be spent in Campus Grounds.
  • 10 Meal Plan – (includes $100 in Dining Dollars) 10 meals each week in the Dining Commons or Coffee Bar and $100 to be used in Campus Grounds.
  • 50 Meal Block  – 50 meals to be used each semester in the Dining Commons or the Coffee Bar.
  • 50 Meal Breakfast/Lunch Block – 50 meals to be used each semester in the Dining Commons or the Coffee Bar. This block plan is for only breakfast and lunch.

How can I use my Purple Plu$ card?
Your trusty Purple Plu$ card is more than just your student I.D.

  • It serves as your access card to gain entry into your residence hall (all residence halls are locked 24 hours).
  • Your Purple Plu$ card will be swiped at the door as you enter the Dining Commons for meals.
  • Money may be added to your account electronically so you are able use your Purple Plu$ card as a debit card on campus in places like the B & B Café, University Store, vending machines, copy machines and off campus restaurants and vendors who participate in the Purple Plu$ Program.
  • The Purple Plu$ card is also your library card used to check out books during your many, many, many trips to KHIC.
  • Your Purple Plu$ will also allow you access to university athletic events.
  • Please keep in mind if you lose or damage your Purple Plu$ card, there is a cost involved to replace it.


Check out information technology frequently asked questions at


  • Tim Bagnola: Future Walt Disney Imagineer

    Published: 1/7/2015 4:30:14 PM

    I know what some of my readers are thinking: “why the heck did this guy write that he loves Disney? I mean, drums are awesome, and I LOVE comedies, but what the heck is this Disney thing about?” Well friends, …

    Read more
To The Top!