If you have previously completed this form and lived off campus, you do NOT need to resubmit this form.


Mount Union is a residential university and as such ascribes to the belief that the residential experience can significantly contribute to a student’s overall collegiate experience. Therefore, the Office of Residence Life strives to provide residential communities that focus on the living and learning process that is at the core of our University mission to prepare students for meaningful work, responsible citizenship and fulfilling lives. In accordance with those beliefs, all full-time students, prior to their junior year, are required to live on campus unless a Petition to Live Off Campus Prior to Junior Year is submitted to and approved by the Office of Residence Life. 

Exceptions will be made for the following reasons: 
1. Live with Parent/Guardian: Students who are living exclusively in the permanent, primary residence of parent(s)/guardian(s) within 45 driving miles of Mount Union. 
2. Lived on campus for four semesters but lack the requisite 58 hours for junior standing. 
3. Married, divorced, widowed or custodial parent (documentation required). 
4. Will be 22 years of age or older, prior to September 1 for that academic year. 
5. Possession of a Baccalaureate degree from an accredited four-year college (documentation required). 
6. Served and honorably discharged from the Armed Forces (documentation required). 
7. Medical or Financial Hardship. 

Permission to live off campus is only valid as long as the reason for the exemption exists. The University reserves the right to revoke permission granted for off-campus residency when the University deems it necessary or appropriate. Your local address and phone number must be maintained through the Office of Residence Life in order for off-campus approval to remain valid. Any student who does not provide an accurate address and phone number by July 1st will be charged for room. 

Any student supplying false information on an petition for off-campus residency or failing to immediately notify the Office of Residence Life upon a change in exemption status, with intent to deceive, will be charged for the semester's or year's room and subject to judicial action. In addition, no refunds for room will be issued after the student has checked into the residence hall. Students are reminded that they are responsible for the rules, regulations and policies of Mount Union whether living on or off campus. 

Any petitions submitted for medical reasons must be approved through the Office of Disability Services, Health Services Office and/or Counseling Services. The appropriate verification from one of these offices should be attached with this form. 

The priority request deadline for current student applying for off-campus residency is February 15 for the following academic year. Requests prior to that date will receive an answer by March 1. Requests received after that date will be considered at our convenience, but will likely take 2 or more weeks for a response. 

Petitions are available from the Office of Residence Life, HPCC. If you have questions about the petition or petition process, contact the Office of Residence Life at (330) 823-2243. Part-time students (students with 11 credit hours or less) need not apply to live off campus, unless they are currently living in a residence hall. The Off-Campus Committee will hear appeals on an individual basis after the committee’s initial meeting to review Petitions. 


Note: Form fields appended with the asterisk (*) are required to ensure the best possible response to your submitted information
Student Signature



I certify that the information I have given in this petition and supporting information is true and accurate to the best of my knowledge. I recognize, if approval is granted, that it is based on my residency at the address given on this petition. MUST REAPPLY FOR OFF-CAMPUS RESIDENCY WHENEVER THE INFORMATION STATED IS NO LONGER ACCURATE OR AS REQUESTED BY THE OFFICE OF RESIDENCE LIFE. Additionally, I understand that responsibility and contractual arrangements between me and any landlord are completely my own doing, and relieve the University, its employees and agents, from any responsibility. I also understand that I will be billed room and board charges if I move off-campus without written approval. In addition, no refunds for room and board will be issued after I have checked into the residence hall. Signing below signifies that I have read the agreement and understand and agree to the terms and conditions stated on the front and back of this petition. It also allows the Office of Residence Life to consult with Financial Aid, the Registrar, and Dean of Students’ Office as needed for questions or clarifications regarding your petition. 

Please type your name in the signature box below, and check the I agree box. This will serve as your electronic signature. 

Student Information


Any student who is required by the residency requirement to live on campus but desires not to live on campus must complete this petition. Any student supplying false information on a petition for off-campus residency or failing to immediately notify the Office of Residence Life upon a change in exemption status, with intent to deceive, will be invoiced for the semester's or year's room cost and subject themselves to possible judicial action. 

  1. What semester(s) are you planning to live off campus?
Contact Information for Next Year


You must provide an address reflecting your place of residency while you are attending. If you don't yet know your off-campus address, please give us your phone number for now and an exact street addresss may be submitted to the Office of Residence Life at which point you have it finalized. Please note, however, that it must be submitted by June 1st or your account will be billed for room and board charges. This address will be shared with the Office of the Registrar as a secondary address for you and your records will be updated accordingly. 

Financial Aid Disclaimer


Financial aid may be altered for students residing either off campus or at home. Completing this form will initiate a financial aid estimate based on a non-residential status. You will receive your estimate via email approximately 2 weeks after submission. Please indicate, by signing electronically below, that you understand there may be a potential impact on your financial aid package if you move off campus or home as compared to living on campus. Also, by completing this section, you agree that this estimate can be shared with the Office of Residence Life for the purpose of considering this petition. 

If you have any questions about this section, please contact The Office of Student Financial Services directly at finaid@moutnunion.edu. 

Please type your name in the signature box below, and check the I agree box. This will serve as your electronic signature. 

Reasons for Living off Campus


If your total credits earned plus enrolled are less than 58, please complete the following.

Indicate the reason that you are requesting to live off campus:
*Documentation may be required to verify some of the reasons listed above. 

If you have indicated Medical or Financial hardship as your reason, please provide a written justification in support of your petition. 

Security Check
To The Top!