Teaching Area(s): Nursing
Job Title: Clinical Assistant Professor of Nursing
MY EXCEPTIONAL STORY
My Career Field
Psychiatric Nursing actually found me. I had no desire to ever be a psych nurse, but in 1983 when I graduated, there were few jobs due to the newly instituted DRGs and cost-containment measures in healthcare. I took a part-time job as a staff nurse on a psychiatric unit and was intrigued by human emotions and behaviors. I also quickly identified that this was a population that was under-served and often mistreated. It has been my mission to promote the value of caring for this mental illness as we do physical illness.
Proudest Professional Accomplishment
In 2011, I helped two students from Aultman College develop and enter an Eating Disorders PSA contest sponsored by College Response. My students won second place in this national contest.
I will be teaching a variety of courses within the nursing program, but, psychiatric nursing and pharmacology are my main interests.
Favorite Part Of The Job
My favorite part of the job has always been having an influence on future healthcare professionals. I love when students come back, after years of working as a nurse, and share their stories and experiences. It is exciting to see how they have grown into caring, responsible professionals.
I love my office in Gallaher Hall. It is a beautiful, new building that I am proud to call my new home.
I love when students come back, after years of working as a nurse, and share their stories and experiences. It is exciting to see how they have grown into caring, responsible professionals.
- If you could teach one class outside of your discipline, what would it be?
- Tennis! My husband is a tennis pro and I have loved the game for the past 25 years! We both teach Special Olympics tennis and it is nice to be able to share our love of this sport with such wonderful individuals.
- What is your favorite quote or motto?
- “The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.” Elbert Hubbard
- What is one thing most people would be surprised to find out about you?
- I love to row and kayak in the summertime.
- If you weren’t a professor, what job would you have?
- I do currently also work as a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner
- What is one thing you want to do or a place you’d like to visit?
- I would love to go see Wimbledon or the French Open someday.