Political Science Learning Objectives
The political science major at the University of Mount Union teaches students the processes of different political institutions. You will learn through class discussion and participation about decision making in the political world. In addition to the learning objectives listed below the challenging coursework and political science major requirements will enhance your ability to think critically, improve your ability to write with clarity, improve your ability to orally communicate effectively and will increase your ability to make sound judgments through analytical reasoning.
Opportunities such as Model United Nations, internships, mock trial and international security simulations are available to political science degree students to better prepare them for career success and graduate study.
Political science majors enter the workforce as legislative and congressional aides, U.S. Secret Service agents, city and county administrators, elected officials and lawyers. If you are interested in any of those career paths, a continued education in the political science field is right for you.
- Students will be able to describe and explain the functions of various institutions of government, both in the United States and elsewhere.
- Students will be able to discuss a broad array of concepts related to government and politics.
Political Theory Objectives:
- Students will be able to accurately define, evaluate, and critique the basic principles (e.g., liberty, equality, rights) inherent within our political/ philosophical framework of democracy.
- Students will be able to contrast democracy with competing political systems.
- Students will be able to read and interpret tables, charts, and graphs commonly found in the Political Science literature.
- Students will be able to apply appropriate tests to perform basic data analysis, correctly interpreting the results of those tests.
- Students will be able to identify the methods used in various sub-fields of Political Science and employ those methods in an appropriate manner.