Pre-Health Professions Club
Students seeking additional support and preparation for a future career in Pre-Medical and other pre-health profession fields may find involvement in the University of Mount Union’s Pre-Health Professions Club to be extremely beneficial. From guest speakers to professional school application preparation, the club offers future healthcare practitioners resources, tips and hands-on experiences in the pre-medical and pre-health professions, allowing them to explore what their future may hold first hand.
The Pre-Health Professions Club is a student-led organization on Mount Union’s campus. Students pursuing a variety of majors with an array of career goals make up its membership. The common goal that ties them together is a desire to make a difference in the lives of others as future members of the healthcare professions.
“The Pre-Health Professions Club has helped me to stay focused and excited about my career after Mount. The advice of the older students who have already been through the application process has been great when it comes to deciding what classes to take and determining what makes you stand out on an application.”
Ellis Beardsley ‘17
Throughout the school year, the club has several activities to help prepare its members for a career in the health related fields. These include bringing in outside speakers, performing workshops and arranging outreach experiences. Recent speakers include admissions representatives from several medical schools, former Mount Union students who are now in health-related graduate or professional programs and current healthcare practitioners.
The goals of the Pre-Health Professionals Club are to:
- Promote awareness and education related to any field of the health profession
- Provide students with knowledge of the ethics and responsibilities that they will encounter on the path to becoming health professionals
- Promote group communication that will prepare students for the application process, situations they will encounter in research, practice, health professional school and general hospital settings
- Provide students with speakers and guests from the medical and allied health fields that will educate about the healthcare profession
- Give students various opportunities to take field trips that relate to the healthcare professions
- Provide opportunities for individual students to shadow a variety of healthcare professionals