- Ryan Donaldson ’15
- Hometown: North Canton, Ohio
- Major: Medical Technology
When I graduated from high school, I knew I wanted to pursue a career in the medical field. I was interested in becoming a medical technologist, and heard that Mount Union had an outstanding medical technology program.
Pre-Medicine and Pre-Health Learning Objectives
Students planning to enter the various fields in modern healthcare require advanced, specialized degrees. The University of Mount Union offers a program to prepare students for the rigors of professional school and to guide students through the highly competitive application process in the fields of medicine, dentistry, physician assistant, veterinary, physical therapy, podiatry, occupational therapy, chiropractic, optometry, pharmacy, and other allied-health fields. This academic and extracurricular program provides students with a firm foundational knowledge of science and humanities required by professional schools while also offering opportunities to explore health fields. Any Mount Union student, regardless of major, is invited to participate in the program and may take advantage of any of these aspects of the pre-medicine and pre-health program:
- Individual academic advising with a faculty advisor aimed to develop a highly personalized curriculum to meet the needs and goals of each student
- Group and individual advising in the complex and ever-changing professional school application process
- Help with writing personal statements
- Advise and direction in finding shadowing, volunteer, and patient-care experiences
- Practice interviews and constructive feedback for sophomore students wishing to improve themselves as professional school candidates
- A committee letter system that provides students with a detailed and meaningful letter of evaluation
- College sponsored field trips, internship opportunities, and visits from health care providers and professional school admissions representatives
- A Pre-Health Professions Club for students to meet like-minded peers
Learning Objectives for students in this program will come from the major selected.