- Roxanne Hoch ’15
- Hometown: Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
- Major: International Studies
While taking Elementary Chinese, I had the opportunity to practice traditional Chinese calligraphy. This was my absolute favorite part of class because it shows that there is not only a difference in the way words are written (characters versus letters), but also a difference in the method of how the language is written. Calligraphy is a traditional part of Chinese history and culture, and being able to practice it myself made me respect that aspect of the Chinese culture even more. It is no easy feat to write using a calligraphy brush!
Preparing for Preview
What do I bring with me?
Remember, you are required to stay overnight in the residence hall, so please make sure to pack a bag! A pillow, linens and a towel is provided for you.
We suggest the following items for your packing list:
- Casual Clothing and comfortable shoes
- A fan (or a blanket) – Though family member and guest housing is air conditioned, student housing is not
- An alarm clock
- Shower Shoes (flip flops)
- Your University email address and password (you will indeed need it throughout the program)
- A pen, pencil or other writing instrument
- A positive attitude and an open mind!
Are you planning to work on campus? If so, please bring the following with you to Preview: Mount Union:
- Your driver’s license or other government ID as well as a social security card and your completed tax forms