Teaching Area(s): Accounting
Title: Assistant Professor of Accounting
Courses Taught: Accounting
I had a good friend majoring in accounting when I started college. I didn’t know much about the field, but I enrolled in a class and really loved the subject.
I passed the entire Certified Public Accountant Examination on my first try. It is a really tough exam, but I made up my mind to only sit one time, so I put in countless hours of studying and it paid off.
I strongly believe that students need to be active learners. That is really the only way to retain the information. As a result, I have mandatory attendance and mandatory participation.
Service Learning in the Classroom
I have added a service-learning component to my Advanced Cost Accounting class and my seminar class. The students are required to present a mini financial literacy seminar to clients of a community partner. In the past, we have partnered with the Alliance Pregnancy Center, Catholic Charities Canton and Interfaith Child Care Center.
Best Part of the Job
I love when students tell me that although they dreaded taking accounting, it ended up being one of their favorite classes. I’m just thrilled when a student can see the value of and reason for taking the class.
I really like the outside of Chapman Hall. It’s such a beautiful historic building and makes such a nice centerpiece for the campus.
People on Campus
I can honestly say that my colleagues at Mount Union are some of the most caring and compassionate people I have ever worked with. Whether it’s a faculty member, staff member or an administrator, people on this campus genuinely care about the students’ success and overall well-being.
Mount Union has a large number of internship opportunities available for students in many areas of study. These internships allow students to apply what they have learned in the classroom to the workplace. Students who have participated in internships have a head start when seeking employment after graduation.
I am currently conducting research on cybercrime. Understanding cybercrime is becoming more and more important as technology continues to advance at a very rapid pace.
B.S.B.A. Major Accounting, Youngstown State University
M.B.A., Youngstown State University
Mount Union has a large number of internship opportunities available for students in many areas of study. These internships allow students to apply what they have learned in the classroom to the workplace.
- Favorite Quote or Motto
- “You can’t build a reputation on what you are going to do.” –Henry Ford
- Surprising Fact about Yourself
- I can’t stand clutter. If my space isn’t neat and orderly, I can’t function. I guess I’m the opposite of a hoarder.
- If You Weren’t a Professor
- I was practicing accounting for a number of years before becoming a professor, so I would probably go back to that as I really enjoyed the work.
- Favorite Movie
- I am not a huge movie person but I really liked Erin Brockovich and I also loved The Help.
- Favorite Book
- I have so many books that I love, but I really enjoyed My Sister’s Keeper, The Help and Look Again.
- Hobbies and Interests
- I absolutely love to play tennis and try to do so at least a couple times a week when the weather is nice. Also, I am an avid reader and read, on average, a book a week.