School Counseling

School Counseling

About School Counseling

School counselors work in a variety of educational settings and can serve a number of age groups. According to the American School Counselor Association (ASCA), they are licensed and nationally certified educators with a minimum of a master’s degree in the field. They are trained to address the academic, social and career development needs of students by designing, implementing, evaluating and enhancing a comprehensive school counseling program that promotes and encourages student success. They can be employed in elementary, middle, and high schools as well as colleges. Additionally, they can hold positions as district supervisors and as counselor educators.

School counseling is a distinct profession blending the knowledge, concepts and practices from psychology, school social work and educational psychology. Mount Union’s 46 credit-hour interdisciplinary major includes courses in other Mount Union programs, such as psychology sociology, education and intervention specialist.

It has its own curricular requirements as well as its own set of criteria for licensure and certification.

In order to become a licensed school counselor, one must pursue an advanced degree (a minimum of a master’s degree), successfully complete appropriate licensing exams and log a substantial number of observation/clinical hours. National certification can be earned once licensure is granted and additional clinical hours and testing are completed.

Become a student at The University of Mount Union. Click here to apply online.

Back to Undergraduate Programs - Majors
To The Top!