Site Search Main Navigation Sub Navigation Page Content Utility Navigation
  1. Home
  2. Future Students
  3. Academics
  4. Undergraduate Programs
  5. Undergraduate Programs - Majors
  6. School Social Work

School Social Work Careers

The Pursuit of an Advanced Degree
In order to become a licensed social worker, one must pursue an advanced degree (a minimum of a Masters’ in Social Work degree), successfully complete appropriate licensing exams and log a substantial number of observation/clinical hours.

There are a number of institutions in Ohio that offer graduate-level degrees for social work and related programs. Some of these include Case Western Reserve, Cleveland State University, Kent State University, The Ohio State University, Malone University, the University of Akron, Walsh University and Youngstown State University. 

For an official state-by-state listing of institutions across the U.S. that offer graduate programs in Social Work, please visit the Council of Social Work Education website at:

Additionally, each state has its own specific requirements for licensure. For more information regarding social work licensure for the state of Ohio please visit

For more information about school social work, please visit the American Council for School Social Work at, the School Social Work Association of America at  and the National Association of Social Workers at

Additional Resources

Ohio Counselor, Social Worker, and Marriage and Family Therapist Board -

Do you hope to pursue a career in school social work? Schedule a campus visit today to learn more about Mount Union’s School Social Work Program.