Sexual Misconduct Responders

As a survivor of sexual assault...
Please know that no one deserves to be assaulted, no matter what!  Everyone has the right to be safe and control what happens to their bodies.  When someone forces you into sexual contact that you do not want, they are wrong.

Often when people hear about sexual assault, they automatically think about rape.  However, sexual assaults occur on a continuum of intrusion and violation.  If permission has not been given or the individual does not want to engage in the sexual activity or is tricked, coerced, or pressured into the behavior, it is sexual assault.  It is also sexual assault when sexual behavior occurs when a person is unable to give consent due to being under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

There are many decisions you will be making in your recovery from sexual assault.  University of Mount Union provides services that can assist you with this process.  This website describes some of the options available to you.


What is a Sexual Misconduct Responder?
Sexual Misconduct Responders are Mount Union faculty and staff members who are trained to help you understand your options.  They will not make decisions for you, but will provide you with the knowledge you need to make your own decisions.   The Responder you call will either come to you or make arrangements to meet you.  The choice is yours.  The Responder will assist you as you address counseling, medical, and legal issues, and help you with any other concerns you may have.

Click here for a list of Responders who are trained to assist you.


Why Should I call a Sexual Misconduct Responder?
By contacting a Responder, you can gain valuable assistance and information to help you make the many decisions ahead of you.  You will also have someone to support you during this challenging time.  The Responder will bring you written materials that explain your many options. 

It is important to note that if you talk with a Responder s/he is required by school policy and by law to report the assault to the police and to the Dean of Students’ office.  This report does not mean you have to make a statement or pursue prosecution, just that the police will be informed of what happened.  If you are unwilling to make a statement, you will need to tell the police this directly.  Please be aware that you will not be able to control the progress or outcome of a legal investigation, but that your wishes will be given serious consideration


What if I don't want to call a Responder?
There are decisions you need to make with or without a Responder.  Please give serious consideration to getting assistance from a Responder or other trained sexual assault advocate.  In case you decide to work through this process without the benefit of a Responder's assistance, the remainder of this website focuses on the major issues you will need to address during your recovery from sexual assault. 

Whether or not you contact a Responder, it is strongly recommended that you call the Rape Crisis Hotline, which is run by Community Services of Stark County.  Workers at the Hotline can answer your questions and provide support, hospital advocacy, and counseling, as well as, referral to longer-term treatment and help with health and financial issues.

Rape Crisis Hotline  (330) 821-RAPE (7273)​


Other Important Questions

To The Top!