- Samantha Sanson ’13
- Hometown: Berea, Ohio
- Major: Sport Business
My favorite hands-on experience in sport business so far has been working at the Sport Sales Workshop in Cleveland. I wasn’t a student participant, but instead a volunteer where I assisted with various tasks throughout the event. I am interested in event operations, so this was a great opportunity to get a feel for what that career might be like. I was also was very fortunate to meet many inspirational individuals within the sport business industry.
Sport Business Learning Objectives
Sport Business at the University of Mount Union prepares students to serve the athletic community as managers, directors, promoters, marketers, and administrators.
Mount Union has the proud distinction of being approved by the NASPE-NASSM (National Association for Sport and Physical Education and North American Society for Sport Management) Sport Management Program Review. Mount Union is one of only 36 approved undergraduate programs in the nation.
Students will explore a wide range of topics including:
- media relations
- legal issues
- international sport management and administration
A sport business major at Mount Union will provide the foundation and skills necessary for career success in professional sports, college athletics, recreation, or corporate positions within a sport related entity. Other related positions include facility management, event management, sport marketing, media relations, sponsorship, licensing, sports information and sport law.
Human Performance and Sport Business Learning Objectives:
Students will demonstrate their ability to:
- collect, synthesize and write sport public relations documents;
- synthesize material into a coherent report;
- organize and administer an athletic event;
- create and present a marketing plan and a sponsorship proposal;
- perform an effective sales presentation;
- collect financial data in order to justify hosting an athletic event;
- Collect and analyze data, case law, and other information in order to logically argue a legal issue;
- create and present a bid to host an international sport event.