Sustainability Management Advisory Committee (SMAC)
In May 2010, the University of Mount Union Board of Trustees voted unanimously to adopt a Sustainability Plan that incorporated a Climate Action Plan. The Plan, developed by the Sustainability Task Force, includes all aspects of overall campus sustainability and meets the requirements set forth by the American College and University President's Climate Commitment (ACUPCC). The Plan considers not only Mount Union's energy consumption, but Mount Union in its entirety, as well as the Alliance community.
In order to facilitate execution of the Sustainability Plan, the University President created a Sustainability Management Advisory Committee (SMAC) in Fall 2010, which is still in existence today. The purpose of this committee is to assist the President and President's Council in executive level strategic sustainability decisions. The SMAC also works on the implementation of the short, medium, and long-term goals of the Sustainability Plan, reviews and offers comment on the sustainable aspects of campus projects and programs, collects and publicizes data on the University's progress with the plan, and recommends directions and priorities for sustainability on campus.
The SMAC has a series of eight goals that guide its work:
- Continually review and update the strategic sustainability plan for the implementation of sustainability measure throughout the university.
- Annually report on progress towards meeting the goals of the sustainability plan, specifically including report to ACUPCC and AASHE STARS.
- Review and recommend appropriate changes in the plan in response to new technologies and changing campus needs and abilities.
- Work with public affairs to promote sustainability on campus and to our off campus constituents.
- Participate in review of proposed campus projects and programs and provide recommendations relative to sustainability.
- Recommend priorities for sustainability initiatives.
- Prepare a formal update to the plan every three years to the President and President's Council.
- Cooperate with the Alliance Mayor's Green Task Force and other community organizations on matters of mutual interest.