Technical Director and Facilities Manager
Position Reports to: Department Chair, Theatre
Fundamental Objectives of this Position:
This full time 12-month teaching staff position will be responsible for teaching four credit hours per semester, serving as Technical Director for the Department of Theatre and the Facilities Manager for the Giese Center for the Performing Arts. As the Facilities Coordinator, this person will manage and direct the operation of the technical stage facilities and equipment in the Giese Performing Arts Center.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as the technical director for two mainstage shows per semester
- Oversees the scheduling, supervision, and training of work-study students and other student production crews
- Participates in the budgeting for and purchasing of production elements
- Maintains equipment, inventories, and rehearsal/performance spaces
- Creates technical drawings
- Supervises construction, load-in, tech rehearsals, and strikes, as well as all productions
- Schedules and coordinates requests and set ups for other constituencies that use the performing arts facilities.
- Knowledgably operates computer lighting systems, sound recording and amplification systems, full orchestra shell set up and stage rigging systems.
- Manages and coordinates, in advance, the setup and equipment needs of show presenters, which includes other university departments and offices, student organizations and outside groups.
- Responsible for hiring, training, scheduling and supervising student staff to operate stage facilities and equipment for all events.
- Expected to participate in departmental recruiting activities and other responsibilities as assigned by the Chair.
- Design opportunities may be available depending on area of expertise.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
The Technical Director/Facilities Manager will maintain a high level of support for the artistic production and academic goals of the Department and University, including mentoring students, and providing an educationally sound, safe, and satisfying experience for all Theatre participants.
BA or BFA in technical theatre with extensive technical experience beyond undergraduate school, MFA in technical theatre or design preferred.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. When requested, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Applications for the position will be reviewed until it is filled. Please submit a letter of application, resume, and the names and contact information of three references. Click on the “Apply Now” button below to apply for this position.