The Mount Union Mace
The mace is traditionally carried by the University Marshal on formal academic occasions at many institutions of higher education. Originally a weapon of war, the mace today has become a peaceful symbol of the authority accorded a college which regularly grants academic degrees to students who have fulfilled the requirements for graduation in one of the several fields of study offered by that University.
The Mount Union mace is constructed in part of wood from the Old Carding Mill in Alliance, where the first college classes were held on the third floor on October 20, 1846. The sections at the top and bottom of the mace are emblematic of the lamp of learning at the center of the College seal. It is fitting that a portion of the Old Mill thus survives as a continuing symbol of the excellent liberal arts education which continues to be a hallmark of Mount Union.