- Megan Ostrofsky ‘16
- Hometown: North Canton, Ohio
- Major: Theatre and Middle Education
I can get personal attention from all my professors in and out of the classroom because there aren’t an overwhelming number of students.
Theatre Hands-On Learning
Students who choose to major in theatre at the University Mount Union have many opportunities to hone their skills, broaden their theatrical abilities and showcase their talents. Getting involved in extracurricular opportunities and student organizations will prepare you for a successful theatre career.
Experiential learning opportunities will give you many chances to put classroom knowledge to work. These opportunities, which complement classroom learning, include:
- Involvement in theatrical productions including acting, stage managing, set construction, costume design and lighting
- Opportunities to act in, direct and design productions
- Lecturers and discussions with actors and performers
- Conduct drama workshops for children
- Independent research
- Research with faculty or student peers
Internships provide you a chance to go into the workforce and gain hands-on, “real-world” experience, which is critical to finding a job after graduation. Internships can be designed to align with your career goals, and students have pursued theatre internships within acting, technical and management areas. In recent years, students have interned with the following organizations:
- The Guthrie Theatre
- Ohio Light Opera
- Porthouse Theatre
- Trumpet in the Land
- The North Country Center for the Arts
- Cleveland Playhouse
- Great Lakes Theatre Festival
- Fairmount Theatre of the Deaf
Field trips are organized each year, and include attending the Stratford Shakespeare Festival in Ontario, Canada, Humana Festival for New American Plays in Louisville, Kentucky and other regional community and professional theatres.
Mount Union Players is a student-led organization on Mount Union’s campus.
Alpha Psi Omega is a national dramatic fraternity. Mount Union’s chapter provides recognition for exceptional theatre students and offers occasional workshops concerning a range of theatre skills.