- Courtney Reese ’15
- Hometown: Cleveland, Ohio
- Major: Marketing
I chose to attend Mount Union because of the small class sizes and the one-on-one attention students receive from professors. At the University, you aren’t just a number. Professors really care about you and your progress in and outside of the classroom. They also are really approachable and personable.
Traditional Residence Halls
Located beside Beeghly Hall, the main administration building, and nestled between Hartshorn and State Streets, Cunningham houses mostly first year students in traditional doubles. This three-story brick structures house 112 men and women students and has recently remodeled lounges on the first floor and laundry on every floor. Student rooms are carpeted and have moveable beds, desks and dressers and built-in closets. Additionally, there is a small computer lab on the first floor.
The construction of Cunningham Hall was approved in January 1968 by the Department of Housing and Urban Development. President Harry Truman's Housing Act of 1950 assisted colleges and hospitals to expand their facilities. The had to supply only $115,000 for the $550,000 building. The hall is named for Mr. and Mrs. N.A. Cunningham, principle donors for the hall. Mr. Cunningham was elected to the Mount Union Board of Trustees in 1957 and, in 1964, was elected board vice president.
McCready hall is located on Hartshorn Avenue between Cunningham Hall and the McPherson Academic and Athletic Complex. This hall houses mostly first year students in traditional doubles. This three-story brick structures house 112 men and women students and has recently remodeled lounges on the first floor and laundry on every floor. Student rooms are carpeted and have moveable beds, desks and dressers and built-in closets. Additionally, there is a small computer lab on the first floor.
McCready Residence Hall was built in 1965. The hall was dedicated in the name of B.Y. Mcready. He was an insurance executive and Mount Union trustee for 18 years in the city of Alliance. McCready graduated from Mount Union in 1916. He was a member of the United States Marine Flying Corps in World War I. He married Mount Union graduate Gertrude Liber in 1922. He was president of the Mount Union Alumni Association from 1927 to 1934.
A residence hall housing incoming women in traditional doubles as well as upperclass women in singles, it is located directly across from the campus lakes. A formal lounge is located on the first floor, with recreational and laundry facilities in the basement. Desks, dressers and beds are moveable. Additionally, there is a computer station in the basement with a networked printer.
Located between Elliott and McMaster halls, Ketcham Hall houses 115 men. The facility is equipped with recreational and study lounges on the first floor. Laundry facilities are available on all three floors. Student rooms are carpeted and have moveable beds, desks and dressers and built-in closets. Ketcham Hall was built in 1962 and dedicated in the memory of Dr. Charles B. Ketcham and his wife Lucile in 1962. Dr. Ketcham was the fifth president of Mount Union, from the year 1938 until his death in 1953.
Located next to the Ramsayer Health Center and close to the Timken Physical Education Building and McPherson Center for Health and Well-Being, King Hall houses 114 students. This hall will either house all women or be co-ed depending on the space requirements of the incoming freshman class. Lounges are located on the first floor and in the basement of this hall. A central laundry facility is also located in the basement. Student rooms are carpeted and have moveable beds, desks and dressers and built-in closets. In 1960 King Hall was dedicated to Mr. and Mrs. George King, as a gift from the Beeghlys.
This L-shaped three-story brick facility is located next to the Hoover-Price Campus Center and houses 162 women. Student rooms are carpeted and have moveable beds, desks and dressers and built-in closets. A central lounge is provided on the first floor and laundry facilities are located on the first and third floors with additional machines available in the basement. McMaster Hall was dedicated in December of 1956. In the dedication ceremony, Mount Union President Carl C. Bracy expressed gratitude to the anonymous donor who had chosen to honor Dr. William Henry McMaster. Dr. McMaster was a student, graduate and president of the institution. When built, the hall was the largest structure on campus.
This building is located across the street from the Timken Physical Education Building. A central laundry room and recreational lounge is located in the basement. This newly renovated building has carpeted rooms and free standing beds, dressers and desks. This hall houses a number of upperclass men in singles as well as a floor of incoming students in traditional doubles.
Historic Miller Hall was built in 1866. Miller Hall was dedicated to the Greentown, Ohio native Lewis Miller. Miller was a partner with his stepbrother Cornelius Aultman in the manufacturing firm of Ball, Aultman & Company. The company made threshing machines, stoves, plows and reapers. The firm owned over 100 patents. Miller was president of the Board at Mount Union for thirty-one years, until he died in 1899. During his tenure on the board, Mount Union was the first college to give the same education rights and privileges to women as men.