Uconnect Parents and Family Association Newsletter - September 2013
As we begin the 2013-2014 Academic Year, I am pleased to share some exceptional news with you! The University of Mount Union has been ranked #1 in the Great Lakes Region for return on investment (ROI) by collegefactual.com. What does this ranking mean? It means that, among all the colleges and universities in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin, Mount Union offers “the best bang for your buck” by delivering an outstanding education at a great economic value, according to College Factual’s website. To compile the rankings, College Factual compares academic quality with the cost of obtaining an undergraduate degree from each institution.
I wholeheartedly believe that this ranking accurately reflects the high-quality education that we provide and our intent focus on preparing our students for meaningful careers after graduation. Throughout the world, we have more than 16,000 accomplished alumni who are making a difference and achieving great success. This includes the graduates of our most recent classes. In fact, 98% of survey respondents among the Class of 2012 started a career related to their degree or were accepted to graduate school, all in an average of 20 days after graduation. We’re very proud of this accomplishment.
Our graduates are living proof that we are fulfilling our mission. We are making good on our promise to prepare our students for fulfilling lives, meaningful work and responsible citizenship. We do so by offering solid academic preparation, valuable hands-on experience and an appreciation of the benefits of a global perspective. These are all necessary tools that allow our students and graduates to remain competitive in a fast-paced world, and our recent ROI ranking and the success of our alumni only further confirm that we are succeeding in our efforts to prepare students for long-term success after graduation.
As president of this fine institution, I get to witness the transformation of our students from wide-eyed and eager freshmen first stepping foot onto campus to well-prepared and determined graduates who are about to make their marks in the world. I assure you, there is nothing more rewarding. I am grateful for the opportunity to work with each and every one of your students, and I sincerely thank you for entrusting us with their educations.
U and the Parent Association
When you and your student chose the University of Mount Union, your entire family became a part of the Mount Union community. Over the years we’ve seen increased participation from parents, so we’re finding new ways to connect and keep you as parent updated about what’s going on at Mount Union.
The U Connect email newsletter for parents is sent in September, November, February and April of each academic year. Parents are invited to attend alumni events near the University and around the country. Check the alumni website for a listing of all upcoming events.
Looking to volunteer?
There are a few opportunities for parents to volunteer.
- Become involved with Mount Union Women! Mount Union Women was founded in 1933 to support the education of women. Any female graduate or friend of the University may be a member. The organization has active chapters in Alliance and Canton/Massillon that work the concession stands at home football games and host programs throughout the year to raise money for scholarships. Numerous scholarships are awarded each year to deserving female students at Mount Union. Contact the Office of Alumni Engagement at email@example.com if you are interested.
- Become a career mentor through our web-based Exceptional Connections program. This exciting program was designed specifically for Mount Union to connect students, alumni and friends of the institution for mentoring, shadowing or internship opportunities, classroom speaking possibilities and general career advice. Watch for more information.
- Participate in M Club events. M Club is the alumni varsity letter winner association that holds several events throughout the year to support current Raider athletic programs. All Raider fans are invited to its annual Reverse Raffle and Silent Auction and their summer Golf Outing.
Upcoming Alumni Events
As members of the Parent Association, you are invited to alumni events! Visit the alumni website for details on all things alumni including more upcoming events.
September 18 – Cleveland Alumni Gathering
Alumni, parents and friends are invited to a drop-in after work gathering at Playmaker's in Garfield Heights hosted by Megan (Grobowski ’98) and Joe ’99 Schiavone.
September 20 – Arizona Club Alumni Gathering
Alumni, parents and friends in Arizona are invited to an informal gathering at Gordon Biersch in Tempe to kick off the Arizona Club. Event hosted by Club Coordinator Craig Shoemaker ’67.
September 26 – Pittsburgh Club Alumni Gathering
Alumni, parents and friends in the Pittsburgh area are invited to an informal gathering at Rivers Casino Wheelhouse to kick off the Pittsburgh Club. Event hosted by Club Coordinator Brittney (Matejka ’99) Golden.
October 1 – New York City Alumni Gathering
Join representatives of Mount Union for a cocktail reception at SOHO House on 9th Avenue in New York City.
October 18 and 19 – Columbus Alumni Gatherings
Alumni, parents and friends in the Columbus area are invited to an informal gathering at Chammps (Worthington) on Friday, October 18 and a pre-game tailgate on Saturday, October 19.
October 23 – Youngstown Alumni Gathering
Alumni, parents and friends in the Youngstown area are invited to a gathering at the Lake Club in Poland. Event hosted by Tom Petzinger ’52 and Paula Barret.
Fall sports are underway – GO RAIDERS!! Check the athletic website for team previews and sport schedules. We invite you to campus to cheer on a team or attend a game if they are travelling to a location near you.
U and our Students
Alma Mater Singing Competition
The Raider Guides and freshmen were challenged with learning the words to the Alma Mater, which they sang in front of their peers to tunes from today. Listen to our amazing students who are keeping the tradition alive.
- December 11 is the last day for our office to process federal loans to help with a fall semester balance.
- If your son or daughter borrowed a Stafford Loan during their undergraduate education, they will be asked to complete EXIT COUNSELING online at www.nslds.ed.gov. We will send email reminders to them one month prior to graduation.
- www.nslds.ed.gov is a great place to track all federal loans. They can view the total amount borrowed and which companies are servicing their loans.
SATISFACTORY ACADEMIC PROGRESS FOR FEDERAL FINANCIAL AID
Federal regulations require the University of Mount Union to establish satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standards for federal financial aid recipients. We will review the following three areas annually: cumulative grade point average (GPA), completion rate and maximum time frame. This only impacts federal funds such as Federal Pell Grant, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Work-Study (FWS), Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) and Direct Loans (Stafford and Parent PLUS Loan) as well as financial aid from the state of Ohio. Details of the policy can be found online in the Undergraduate Catalog on page 10. You can also contact our office with questions.
The Office of Student Financial Services is located in the lower level of the Gartner Welcome Center. The office can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 1-877-543-9185.
The Office of Business Affairs wants to make sure you are aware of dates that will be of importance to you and your student:
- Payment for fall semester is now overdue. Accounts with outstanding balances have now been charged a late fee of 2% or $70, whichever is less. If you are awaiting scholarship money, please contact them directly to confirm when Mount Union should receive the funds.
- Accounts with a balance above $400 will be placed on hold on September 16. This means your student will not have access to view grades or register for the spring 2014 semester. Transcripts will not be released to any account on hold. Accounts with balances at or below $400, or those that are up to date on the Nelnet monthly payment plan, are considered current.
- The 2013-14 Payment Calculation Worksheet was mailed home over the summer. Even if you have made payment arrangements or paid your bill in full, a signed copy is still needed. Please have your student stop by the Office of Business Affairs to sign a copy.
- You no longer need access to your student’s self-service account to make a payment. Please log onto www.mountunion.edu; click on the Parents and Families tab; then click to “make a payment.” It’s that easy!
- Our office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Should you have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to contact us at 1-800-992-6682, ext. 4137 or 6557.
U and Mount Union
Join your student for a full day of family time! Activities include a visit to the University’s Huston-Brumbaugh Nature Center, an Exceptional Beginnings Carnival, pictures at the Family Day Photo Booth, shopping at the University Store, a Family Day Tailgate Dinner and cheering on the Raider Volleyball Team and the National Champion Football Team!
The full schedule of events is now available online at www.mountunion.edu/familyday and reservations will begin on September 5. Reservations are needed for several events and may also be taken by phone at (330) 823-2885, between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. Monday – Friday. Payment for reservations may be made online on the website in person using cash or checks only. Families are welcome to mail payments to the University (check only, please, made payable to the University of Mount Union), to:
Office of Student Involvement and Leadership
University of Mount Union
1972 Clark Avenue
Alliance, OH 44601
Payment is also able to be taken on Family Day, however, we’re only able to accept cash or checks, made payable to the University of Mount Union.
For questions, please contact the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership at (330) 823-2885 or by email to email@example.com. Ask for Kate!
We hope to see you at Family Day!
The Mount Union Fund
As we begin a new academic year, The Mount Union Fund invites you to partner in our mission to provide students with a truly exceptional college experience. To make a gift, or to learn more about the impact of The Mount Union Fund, please visit our website.