UMU CHEERLEADING ADVISOR, PART-TIME
Fundamental objectives of this position:
Under the supervision of the Vice President for Student Affairs and Spirit Squads Advisor serving as a member of the student affairs team, this position is responsible for coordinating facets of the University Cheerleading Squad. Facets include: Cheer Squad, UMU Mascot, and Competition Cheer Team.
The candidate must have experience in previous cheer program (s); and interest and willingness to be part of the student affairs team.
This person is expected to exercise judgment and to make decisions considered appropriate and necessary to provide the designated support and services for the Cheerleading program, consulting with the Spirit Squad Advisor and other campus constituents as needed.
- Lead and coordinate UMU Cheerleading Squad program and activities
- Serve as member of the Student Affairs team and ensure that all facets of the Cheerleading Squad are undertaken in accordance with University and other pertinent regulations and guidelines
- Function will include travel to away games and cheerleading competitions
- Attend spirit events on or off campus
- Work closely with various campus offices including, but not limited to: admission/enrollment services, marching band/music, marketing and public relations, recreation/intramurals, theater/dance, camps/conferences, athletics, physical plant…
- Assist with training and supervision of staff/volunteers—including student staff
- Must have ability to manage time and set priorities
- Other duties as assigned
- Establish a highly visible Spirit Squad presence at the University of Mount Union
- Plan, organize, and direct practices and competitions
- Attend all home, away games and competitions
- Attend all home men’s and women’s basketball games
- Establish and maintain expectations for conduct and behavior of squads
- Prepare competition and game schedules and coordinate all logistical needs (facilities, equipment/set-up, judges/officials, marketing/promotion, etc.)
- Provide strategy and skills instruction for squads
- Maintain current certifications for cheer —participate in professional development trainings to stay up-to-date in those fields (UCA, AACCA, ASFA)
- Collaborate with Director of Bands to coordinate shared Dance Team involvements
A bachelor’s degree and significant experience advising/coaching cheer and/or dance—at the high school level or higher. Advisor must be certified in First Aid, CPR, and AED or be able to obtain those certifications prior to employment. The candidate must have excellent oral, interpersonal and written communication skills; outstanding organizational abilities; demonstrated experience in the successful completion of multiple projects and responsibilities; and interest and willingness to be part of the University and student affairs team. Weekend and evening hours will be required as part of the position.
The University of Mount Union, a private Midwestern institution founded in 1846, offers a rigorous and relevant academic program that is grounded in the liberal arts. Mount Union’s 2,300 students can select from 55 broad-based and career-specific undergraduate majors and three graduate programs. Known for its personal approach, the institution boasts a 13:1 student-faculty ratio.
Mount Union’s 123-acre campus, located in Alliance, OH, is primarily residential, and $110 million has been invested in its grounds and facilities since 2005. The University strives to make its education accessible to students of all financial backgrounds, and alumni experience outstanding opportunities for success.
The University offers competitive compensation, based on qualifications. Fringe benefits include a 10% contribution by the University to TIAA after one year of service; contribution by the University toward hospitalization, major medical, disability, and group life insurance; tuition exchange for qualified dependents.
Please submit a letter of application, resume, and the names and contact information of three references. All offers of employment are contingent upon successful background screening.