University of Mount Union Highlights of 2015
December 17, 2015
1. Giese Center for the Performing Arts Dedicated – The Richard F. and Sandra L. Giese Center for the Performing Arts was dedicated in style last February during the University of Mount Union’s Black Tie Gala event.
2. Men's Basketball Team Travels to Rock Island, Illinois for Sweet 16 Games – Mount Union's men's basketball team traveled to Rock Island, Illinois and Augustana College for the round of 16 in the NCAA Division III Tournament in March.
3. Carrie Coon and Tracy Letts Present Schooler Lecture –Tony Award nominated actor Carrie Coon ‘03 and Pulitzer Prize winning playwright and Tony award-winning actor Tracy Letts presented the 2015 Schooler Lecture at the University of Mount Union.
4. Dr. Robert Woodward Named 2015 Mount Union Great Teacher – During the University of Mount Union’s Senior Recognition and Honors Convocation ceremony, the prestigious Great Teacher Award for 2015 was presented to Dr. Robert Woodward, assistant professor of chemistry and biochemistry.
5. Mount Union Names Outstanding Senior Man and Woman – Emily Phillip and Jacob Ward were named Outstanding Senior Woman and Man during the University of Mount Union’s annual Senior Recognition and Honors Convocation held April 21.
6. University of Mount Union Recognized as 2014 Tree Campus USA – For the fifth consecutive year, the University of Mount Union was recognized by the Arbor Day Foundation as a 2014 Tree Campus USA for its commitment to effective urban forest management.
7. Dr. Richard F. Giese Granted President Emeritus Status – The University of Mount Union Board of Trustees voted unanimously to grant president emeritus status to Dr. Richard F. Giese. Giese served as the 11th president of the institution from 2005 to 2015 and will stepped down at the close of his contract in June.
8. 169th Commencement Ceremony Held at Mount Union – More than 480 graduate and undergraduate students participated in the University of Mount Union’s 169th Commencement Ceremony held Saturday, May 9 in the Peterson Field House of the McPherson Academic and Athletic Complex.
9. Mount Union Wins OAC Women's All-Sport Trophies; Mathie and Spencer Named Top Student Athletes – Mount Union was awarded the Ohio Athletic Conference Women's All-Sports Trophies in May. In addition, Brooke Mathie (Louisville/Louisville) and Hank Spencer (Greencastle, Ind./North Putnam) were honored with the OAC Clyde Lamb Awards at the OAC's Awards Dinner.
10. Mount Union 17th in 2014-15 Final Learfield Directors Cup Standings; Raiders Top D-III Athletic Department in Ohio – Mount Union was ranked 17th in the nation in the final 2014-15 Learfield Sports Directors Cup NCAA Division III standings.
11. University of Mount Union Welcomes President Richard Merriman to Campus – The University of Mount Union entered a new era of leadership as Dr. W. Richard Merriman, Jr. officially commenced his role as the institution’s 12th president. Merriman was appointed to the position at the conclusion of a six-month nationwide search and upon unanimous decision of the Board of Trustees.
12. Mount Union Ranked for Integrative Studies, Value – The University of Mount Union acknowledged by two prestigious ranking bodies for its integrative studies program and value for the money.
13. Allen Green ’77 Named Chair of Mount Union Board of Trustees – Allen Green ’77, president of H-P Products, was elected chair of the Mount Union Board of Trustees during the Board’s annual spring meeting.
14. Mount Union Engineering Programs Earn ABET Accreditation – The University of Mount Union’s civil and mechanical engineering programs received accreditation from the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET.
15. Mount Union Class of 2014 Reports Success in Attaining Jobs – An impressive percentage of 2014 Mount Union graduates indicated success in their search for degree-related careers or graduate school attendance.
16. University of Mount Union Ranked by Washington Monthly – The University of Mount Union was once again ranked among the nation’s top colleges and universities in a report released by Washington Monthly.
17. Mount Union Ranked Top College by U.S. News and World Report – For the 25th consecutive year, the University of Mount Union was ranked as a top college by U.S. News and World Report.
18. NBC News Political Director Chuck Todd is 2016 Schooler Speaker – Chuck Todd, NBC News political director and host of “Meet the Press” and “MTP Daily,” was announced as the University of Mount Union’s Schooler Lecture speaker. The lecture will take place on Thursday, March 10, 2016.
19. Mount Union’s Hank Spencer Finalist for Campbell Trophy – Mount Union senior linebacker Hank Spencer (Greencastle, Ind./North Putnam) was named a finalist for the 2015 Campbell Trophy presented by Fidelity Investments, the National Football Foundation and the College Football Hall of Fame.
20. Stephan Baity Takes Culinary Talents to Food Network – Stephan Baity, resident director of culinary services at the University of Mount Union, carved his way onto the Food Network in a special holiday inspired season of Cake Wars. On Monday, December 14, Baity and his team competed for first place in the season finale and his team, the "Jack Frosters," won the competition, splitting $50,000 among the three of them.
21. Mount Union Named a “Tuition Hero” – The University of Mount Union was named a “Tuition Hero” by Tuition Heroes, an organization that recognizes colleges and universities that have worked successfully to control tuition increases.
22. Doctor of Physical Therapy Program Accepting Applications – The University of Mount Union announced the approval of a Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) program by the Institutional Actions Committee of the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) on October 30. Mount Union is now accepting applications for the inaugural class to launch in fall 2016 (pending appropriate approvals)
23. Michelle Lockhart Sundstrom Named Vice President for Enrollment Management – Michelle Lockhart Sundstrom was named vice president for enrollment management at the University of Mount Union effective February 1, 2016.
24. Mount Union, Stark State Sign Articulation Agreement – The University of Mount Union and Stark State College signed the first of several anticipated articulation agreements which will allow Stark State graduates with associate degrees in psychology to further their education and earn a bachelor’s degree at Mount Union.
25. Football Team Wins 12th National Title – Mount Union capped a perfect 15-0 season winning the 43rd Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl 49-35 over St. Thomas to capture its record 12th NCAA Division III national championship at Salem Stadium in Salem, Virginia.