University Spirit Squads Advisor
Fundamental objectives of this position:
Under the supervision of the Vice President for Student Affairs and serving as a member of the student affairs team, this position is responsible for coordinating all facets of the University Spirit Squads. Spirit Squads include: Dance Team, Cheer Squad, UMU Mascot, Competition Dance Team, and Competition Cheer Team.
The candidate must have excellent oral, interpersonal and written communication skills; outstanding organizational abilities; demonstrated experience in the successful coordination of cheer and dance program(s); and interest and willingness to be part of the student affairs team.
This person is expected to exercise judgment and to make decisions considered appropriate and necessary to provide the designated support and services for the Spirit Squads programs, consulting with the Vice President for Student Affairs and other campus constituents as needed.
- Lead and coordinate UMU Spirit Squad programs and activities
- Serve as member of the Student Affairs team and ensure that all facets of Spirit Squads are undertaken in accordance with University and other pertinent regulations and guidelines
- Assist the Admission/Enrollment Office in recruiting efforts to identify and maintain optimal squad/team sizes; this function will include travel to meet and recruit potential students as well as participation in various planned visitation and tryout days
- Serve as a member of various University committees as requested
- Maintain calendar for appointments with students, prospective students/families, campus colleagues and external constituents
- Schedule events, coordinate services and reserve facilities/equipment as needed
- Coordinate travel arrangements, required pre-trip paperwork and post-trip documentation
- Oversee and utilize departmental budget and plan for organizational financial needs
- Work closely with various campus offices including, but not limited to: admission/enrollment services, marching band/music, marketing and public relations, recreation/intramurals, theater/dance, camps/conferences, athletics, physical plant…
- Assist with training and supervision of staff/volunteers—including student staff
- Must have ability to manage time and set priorities
- Attend departmental and university meetings and training events as required
- Other duties as assigned
- Establish a highly visible Spirit Squad presence at the University of Mount Union
- Plan, organize, and direct practices and competitions for various squads
- Establish and maintain expectations for conduct and behavior of squads
- Prepare competition and game schedules and coordinate all logistical needs (facilities, equipment/set-up, judges/officials, marketing/promotion, etc.)
- Provide strategy and skills instruction for squads
- Maintain current certifications for cheer and dance—participate in professional development trainings to stay up-to-date in those fields (UCA, AACCA, ASFA, NDA)
- Work with individual members of each squad to provide resources and support toward optimal academic success—work with campus offices as needed
- Collaborate with Director of Bands to coordinate shared Dance Team involvements
- Work with the Admission/Enrollment Services staff to develop and implement a systemic approach for recruiting squad members—including site visits, campus visits, tryout events and individual recruitment follow-up activities; assist with the development of pertinent recruitment materials
- Coordinate and document all recruitment activities through admission and financial aid processes and databases
- Establish a network of affiliations with high school cheer and dance coaches and advisors
- Make final determinations regarding spirit squads scholarships
- Recruit, hire, supervise and evaluate assistant coaches, student staff, and volunteers
- Explore opportunities to host cheer/dance clinics, events, competitions on campus
- Assist with various duties and responsibilities in the recreation and intramural department—may include teaching fitness classes and/or general administration
A bachelor’s degree and significant experience advising/coaching cheer and/or dance—at the high school level or higher. Advisor must be certified in First Aid, CPR, and AED or be able to obtain those certifications prior to employment. The candidate must have excellent oral, interpersonal and written communication skills; outstanding organizational abilities; demonstrated experience in the successful completion of multiple projects and responsibilities; and interest and willingness to be part of the University and student affairs team. Must have the necessary skills to effectively utilize the administrative computer systems, such as Microsoft Office products, campus databases and the Internet. Weekend and evening hours will be required as part of the position.
The University of Mount Union, a private Midwestern institution founded in 1846, offers a rigorous and relevant academic program that is grounded in the liberal arts. Mount Union’s 2,300 students can select from 55 broad-based and career-specific undergraduate majors and three graduate programs. Known for its personal approach, the institution boasts a 13:1 student-faculty ratio.
Mount Union’s 123-acre campus, located in Alliance, OH, is primarily residential, and $110 million has been invested in its grounds and facilities since 2005. The University strives to make its education accessible to students of all financial backgrounds, and alumni experience outstanding opportunities for success.
The University offers competitive compensation, based on qualifications. Fringe benefits include a 10% contribution by the University to TIAA after one year of service; contribution by the University toward hospitalization, major medical, disability, and group life insurance; tuition exchange for qualified dependents.
Please submit a letter of application, resume, and the names and contact information of three references. All offers of employment are contingent upon successful background screening.