Upperclass Residential Options
Both three-story buildings housing 154 upperclassmen students in suite-style living units, these halls provide double rooms with an adjoining bathroom. Laundry facilities are available on the second and third floors of each building as well as a kitchenette area containing a sink, microwave and refrigerator on the third floor. There are television lounges on the first and third floors. Student rooms are equipped with moveable beds, dressers and desks, and built-in closets. Each room also has an individual heating and air-conditioning unit. Bica-Ross and Shields halls share an outdoor playing field/lawn area and are also located in close proximity to outdoor tennis courts.
Bica-Ross opened in 1996 and it is the only residence hall that contains classrooms. The residence hall was named by Violet Bica-Ross in honor and in memory of her late husband L. Clayton Ross and brother George Bica.
Shields Hall, which opened in 1999, is named in honor of 1943 Mount Union graduate, Dr. Clifford D. Shields and Mrs. Betty (Hatton) Shields, a 1944 graduate of Mount Union.
Elliott and Miller HallsIn both of these halls, there are a limited number of singles available to upperclassmen for an additional cost. Elliott Hall houses women and Miller Hall houses men.
This is a two-story building which houses 103 upperclassmen students in suite-style living units. These rooms are set up as double rooms with an adjoining bathroom. Student rooms are equipped with moveable beds, dressers, desks and built-in closets. There is a laundry facility as well as vending machines in the basement of the hall as well as a computer station with a networked printer. There is a television lounge on the first floor. This building is air-conditioned.
When construction began on Hoiles-Peterson Hall in 1988, it was the first new residence hall to have been built on the campus in twenty years. Hoiles-Peterson Hall was dedicated to Donald and Josephine Peterson. Dr. Donald Albert Peterson graduated in 1939 from MUC. He served on Board of Trustees at Mount Union starting in 1945. He was chairman of the board from 1971 to 1987. Dr. Peterson was the former publisher of the Alliance Review and owner of WDPN A.M. and WZKL F.M. in Alliance. He was awarded the honorary Doctor of Letters degree at the 1988 Mount Union Commencement Exercises.
Mrs. Josephine Hoiles-Peterson was a 1940 graduate of Mount Union. She was the president of Mount Union's Women's club and member of the alumnae organization of the Delta Nu chapter of the Delta Delta Delta sorority.