As you may have heard, the University of Mount Union’s nursing (BSN) program recently received accreditation from the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education. Accreditation is a rigorous process but necessary to assure quality within our program. After receiving the …Read more
Verification is a process to confirm the information you provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Verification selection can be random or it can be because your FAFSA data was incomplete, estimated, or inconsistent. The U.S. Department of Education selects some students for the verification process. The University of Mount Union may select others if conflicting information is found.
We are required to ask you to provide documentation to confirm the information on your FAFSA. This will include a few verification forms that will be mailed to the student’s home address and your tax information. If you are a dependent student, you will need to provide your parents’ tax information, as well.
Submit your and your parents’ tax information to the
Office of Student Financial Services.
We are no longer permitted to accept a signed copy of 1040 tax returns!
Choose Option 1 or Option 2:
OPTION 1 (preferred): Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer 2015 tax data to the 2016-2017 FAFSA
- Login at fafsa.gov and click on “Make FAFSA Corrections”
- On the FAFSA, in the Financial Information section, click “Link to IRS.” (Parent financial section will be first; then the student financial section will follow.)
- On the IRS page that pops up, fill out the form and click on “Transfer my tax information into the FAFSA.” It should take you back to the FAFSA and the tax information should be filled in.
- If both the student and parent(s) filed taxes, the linking process (above) will need to be done for both the student and the parent(s).
- Lastly you must resubmit the FAFSA. (We will be notified electronically.)
You will NOT be able to use IRS Data Retrieval Tool if:
- Taxes were filed electronically within the last 3 weeks.
- Marital status changed after December 31, 2015
- Filed "Married Filing Separately"
- Filed an amended return
- Filed a foreign tax return
- Filed a tax return using a Tax ID Number (TIN)
- Applicants who have not and are not required to file a 2015 Federal Tax Return.
For applicants who cannot use the online IRS Data Retrieval Tool, a “Tax Return Transcript” must be requested directly from the IRS. See Option 2 below.
**Tax information electronically filed within the previous 3 weeks or submitted by mail within the previous 8 weeks may not yet be available.
OPTION 2: Request an IRS “Tax Return Transcript” by MAIL
- Go to http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript. Click "Get Transcript by MAIL."
- Click "OK." Enter your Social Security Number, Date of Birth, Address on tax return and Zip Code. Click "continue."
- Make the appropriate selections (as shown below)
- Select “Return Transcript”
- Select “Tax Year: 2015”
- The transcript will be mailed to the address on file within 5-10 days.
- Submit transcript to the Office of Student Financial Services via fax to (330) 829-2814 OR scan/email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include the student's name and student ID number.