W. Robert Morrison to Present Lenten Midweek Organ Recital
March 18, 2004
W. Robert Morrison, minister of music emeritus at Church of the Savior United Methodist and organist-director at St. Mark's Episcopal Church and Temple Israel, will present a Lenten Midweek Organ Recital on Wednesday, March 24 at noon in Mount Union College's Dewald Chapel.
W. Robert Morrison
Morrison received a bachelor's degree from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore and held a three-year organ scholarship at Peabody Conservatory of Music. His piano teachers were Mary Walker and Mabel Hammond Thomas. His first organ teacher was the famed Virgil Fox, and he counts many names in the organ world as his mentors: Charles M. Courboin, Richard Ross, Edouard Nies-Berger and Alexander McCurdy. He received a BD degree from the Reformed Episcopal Seminary in Philadelphia and a master's degree from Westminster College of Rider University in Princeton, New Jersey. He spent the summer of 1953 in organ study at Fontainebleau, France with Marcel Dupre, Rolande Falcinelli and Nadia Boulanger.
Morrison was appointed minister of music at the First Methodist Church of Canton, since renamed Church of the Savior, United Methodist, where he was responsible for the 80-rank 1950 Aeolian-Skinner Organ, five choirs, including 101 handbells from England and America and the 86-note Schulmerich Carillonic Bells from the church tower. He retired after forty-four years of service and was named minister of music emeritus. He currently directs music at St. Mark's Episcopal Church and Temple Israel.
Morrison holds the degree of Fellow, American Guild of Organists (AGO) as well as choirmaster. In 1992, he was presented with a life membership in the AGO. Morrison has dedicated many organs and carillons and has been honored with an alumni merit award from Westminster Choir College and an honorary doctorate degree from Malone College in Canton.
He and his wife, Kathleen, have a son and a granddaughter.
The event is free and open to the public. The Dewald Chapel is located on the Mount Union College campus across from the football stadium on Aultman Avenue.Back to Previous Page