Zak Suhar '13
Job Title: Associate Account Strategist
Hometown: Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Current Job Title: Associate Account Strategist, SMB (Small and Medium Sized Businesses) Sales
Employer: Google, Inc.
I provide strategic advice to businesses using Google AdWords and help advertisers get the best return on their advertising investment by working closely in a consultative role with customers.
MY EXCEPTIONAL STORY
Choosing Mount Union
I chose Mount Union because of the small class sizes, strong sense of community and the student-centric faculty. Plus, the ability to play on the football team and my family in the area made the choice extra special.
Going Above and Beyond for Students
What makes Mount Union different than other schools is the professors’ willingness to go above and beyond for students. My favorite professors were Mark McConnell, assistant professor of marketing; Dr. Stephen Kramer, faculty emeritus of psychology; Dr. Gregg Courtad, professor of Spanish and Dr. Charles McClaugherty, professor of biology. Professor McConnell especially motivated me in and out of the classroom, challenged me and was my mentor for “go-to” advice.
Liberal Arts Foundation
Mount Union’s liberal arts foundation allowed me to become a very well-rounded candidate when looking for a job. I learned concrete skills needed for a career but also learned many different things through a variety of classes I took, eventually differentiating myself from other job candidates.
I learned how to refine my resume and professional writing style through a variety of business classes. My involvement in the Environmental Science Program helped to develop my interest in green business, which led to a business development internship at TerraCycle in Trenton, NJ. In addition, being part of the Sustainable Management Advisory Committee allowed me to attend an Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education conference where I networked and landed an internship in my home state – a marketing and sustainability intern at Max-R in Sussex, WI.
Before landing a job at Google, I was the trade show coordinator for The Prestwick Group in Sussex, WI.
Working at Google
There are many things that are measured during the interview process, one of which is "Googleyness." This basically is to gauge how unique a candidate is, looking for signs of comfort with ambiguity and leadership skills while working in a collaborative environment. With that being said, working at Google is very fun because the people are so awesome. Everyone comes from such diversified backgrounds, so there's never a lack of energy and excitement, and it is truly a team atmosphere full of passion. In addition to the people, things like tasty lunches, self-powered commuter incentives and several other perks are a plus!
Mount Union Memories
Some of my most memorable moments from my time as an undergraduate were getting involved with the Sustainable Management Advisory Committee and Raider Relief as a way to make an impact. I also enjoyed playing football during my sophomore year and spending time with friends.
I tried to take advantage of every opportunity available at Mount Union. I was involved with the Ralph and Mary Regula Center for Public and Civic Engagement, Sophomore Service Honorary, Alpha Lambda Delta, Raider Relief, Sustainable Management Advisory Committee, First Year Experience and The Dynamo as well as writing a weekly blog for the University.
There are many things that are measured during the interview process, one of which is "Googleyness." Working at Google is very fun because the people are so awesome, everyone comes from such diversified backgrounds, so there's never a lack of energy and excitement.
- What is number one on your bucket list?
- Anything associated with travel and adventure. Probably visiting Pulpit Rock in Norway, hiking in Patagonia or cycling el Camino de Santiago in Spain. I especially enjoy cliff jumping.
- In a meeting with your peers, is your phone on the table, in your pocket or purse, left at your desk or in your car?
- Left in my pocket, anxious to see what has changed in the world of social media once it’s over!
- What is your least favorite movie?
- Any scary movies or thrillers. I don’t like paying for a movie that will scare me or I won’t enjoy!
- What is your favorite kind of sandwich?
- Italian with provolone, lettuce, tomato and vinaigrette on cheese bread.
- What is your usual bedtime?
- After re-browsing all the apps on my phone, about midnight. It’s probably the reason I have to set so many alarms!
- Do you dance in the car?
- When the time/song is right, definitely.
- Did you ever win a contest? If so, what was it?
- Yes. The Grand Trunk Study Abroad Video Contest before I went to Alicante, Spain during the 2012 spring semester.