The University of Mount Union’s Bachelor of Arts degree in health program and teaching license prepares students to work with children from grades K-12. The CAEP and AAHE accredited undergraduate health major program is geared toward those who desire to teach health in today's schools and will prepare students to impact school health programs and create awareness of health, overall well-being, fitness, and motivation.
Health major graduates have found successful careers working for public and private school districts throughout the country. Others have pursued opportunities at health departments and non-profit organizations. Receiving a health degree will also open doors for students to pursue graduate studies at institutions across the country.
Health Major Quick Facts
The health major requires 38-40 credit hours of coursework specific to the major, with an additional 32 credit hours for the University’s general education program, the Integrative Core. This allows students to explore areas of study outside their field of interest while developing essential leadership and communication skills that employers value.
Education majors have several opportunities to gain hands-on experience outside of the classroom, including:
- Multiple field experiences and a semester of student teaching
- Internships in the field with various schools and organizations including the Spectrum Education Center
- Opportunities to attend on campus and regional conferences and professional development workshops
- Membership in several student organizations for education majors including Students in Health and Physical Education (SHAPE), Kappa Delta Pi, and Student National Education Association (SNEA)
Mount Union’s Department of Education also has received numerous recognitions for the quality and caliber of its programs:
- The Department of Education was ranked #2 in Ohio, #6 in the Great Lakes region and #18 in the nation as a best value in College Factual’s 2018 rankings
- Mount Union’s Department of Education programs were cited among institutions with the most popular and most focused programs
- Mount Union has been recognized as a 2017-2018 Education College of Distinction
- Mount Union's health and physical education programs were ranked #1 in Ohio, #9 in the Great Lakes region, and #20 in the nation as a best value and #1 in Ohio, #4 in the Great Lakes region, and 33 in the nation as a most focused program in College Factual's 2018 rankings
- The programs were also ranked #6 in Ohio and #21 in the Great Lakes region for quality and #9 in Ohio and #34 in the Great Lakes region for popularity in College Factual’s 2018 rankings