Abby Packard '18
Major: Middle Childhood Education
Hometown: North Royalton, Ohio
Future school counselor
Member of Alpha Chi Omega, Dowling Mentor Program and Alpha Lambda Delta
MY EXCEPTIONAL STORY
Choosing Mount Union
I loved the campus. It felt homey, and all the people I saw on my tour were so friendly and welcoming. It wasn’t intimidating at all, and when I thought about starting my freshman year, I was not nervous about it.
I feel that I gain a more personal relationship with my professors at Mount Union. They are approachable and willing to help. I feel like I am getting more out of my education. The students are also a close community and accepting of everyone.
Finding a Career Path
I chose middle childhood education as my major because I knew I wanted to do something that had to do with kids and I wanted to be in a classroom. Eventually, I want to be a school counselor and thought teaching was a good place to start.
Observing in Alliance Middle School was my favorite hands-on experience in my major so far. I got to see exactly what I would be doing with my major and pick up tips for my future career.
My favorite class so far was Adolescent Literature. It was run differently than any other class I had. It was based more on discussion, and I felt challenged with my work.
Dr. Schneller is my favorite professor and is my advisor. He has taught me a lot about what it takes to be a middle school professor and how to be yourself in the classroom.
Benefits of a Liberal Arts Education
I am able to see things from other perspectives. With teaching, I will need to know how students view certain things. Taking classes in science, humanities, fine arts and social sciences may help me understand the mind of someone who has strength in one of those areas.
I feel that I gain a more personal relationship with my professors at Mount Union. They are approachable and willing to help.
- 4. What is your favorite quote or motto?
- "Keep moving forward” –Walt Disney
- 5. If you could try out any job for a day, what would it be and why?
- I would want to be a psychiatrist because I originally wanted to major in psychology. It would be fun to see what it would be like.
- 6. What three songs define your music tastes?
- Riptide by Vance Joy, Tear in My Heart by Twenty One Pilots, Seeing Stars by Borns
- 7. What was your favorite toy/board game as a child?
- 9. What’s your all-time favorite movie or TV show?
- The Lion King