Skip to Content

Curricular Practical Training

Students on F-1 visas who have been enrolled on a full-time basis for at least one academic year are eligible, through authorization by the institution, for either part-time or full-time curricular practical training (CPT) in one of two ways:

  1. Employment which is part of the degree program - this always meets the requirement for CPT, regardless of whether or not the student receives academic credit for the work. 
  2. Employment which is NOT a required part of the degree program - this may meet the requirements for CPT if the student receives academic credit for the employment experience, and if it is considered to be an integral part of the student's curriculum.

Students Completing Part-Time CPT

Students must be careful to limit their work to no more than the 20 hours per week. There is no time limitation on a student's participation in part-time CPT, but the student must be simultaneously enrolled full-time in order to maintain lawful F-1 status. To apply for CPT, please complete the CPT Application, and make an appointment with the Office of International Student Services to receive authorization at Authorization must be granted prior to beginning CPT.